Non cyclists look upon cyclists as weird

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
My family are very supportive. They don’t get it at all, but they are supportive. I mentioned how far I’d ridden on Sunday morning and the look I got was priceless (I had to work very hard not to laugh aloud). Only two of my brother-in-laws get it as they run.

My wife thinks it’s great that I cycle (I spent several years in a wheelchair/mobility scooter) and has even joined me with the kids on some very short rides. Otherwise she leaves me to it. She does nod and smile when I talk about cycling, but I have come to recognise the glassy stare and now reciprocate her patience with me by quickly shutting up. :whistle:

pjd57

Veteran
The strange driving to the gym culture baffles me.
If people feel the need to go , why not walk , jog , cycle there and back ?

I get a few strange looks when I tell people that I cycle to the football now.
7:5 miles from my house to Celtic park.
When you tell them how much quicker bit is than taking a car , they just seem lost for words.

classic33

Leg End Member
The strange driving to the gym culture baffles me.
If people feel the need to go , why not walk , jog , cycle there and back ?

I get a few strange looks when I tell people that I cycle to the football now.
7:5 miles from my house to Celtic park.
When you tell them how much quicker bit is than taking a car , they just seem lost for words.
The time taken to get from A to B, is what throws most people. The fact that the same journey, where you spend less time stationary, is quicker is hard to get them to understand. Then it's the distance involved that gets them.

screenman

Legendary Member
The gym is weird isn't it? People drive 30 mins there and back to spend 30 mins on an exercise bike and 15 mins showering / changing. Why don't they just cycle there, then when they get there, just ride back. Saves a gym membership.

I use the gym twice a week for 90 minutes at a time, you get to work bits that you do not on a bike.

Alan O

Über Member
What's wrong with trainspotting?
Indeed, it can make them look very pretty...

2090316909_5887f6b0cc_o.jpg

Maenchi

StoneDog
'Golfist' never heard that term.....like it...

I've never been as fit as I was when I had a 15 mile commute with a big climb in either direction and a gym near the highest point on the commute. Got into a routine of riding uphill, by the time I'd reach the gym I'd be properly warmed up and ready to work out, jump back on bike afterwards and have a nice cooldown session by riding mostly downhill home.

I really wouldn't mind having that kind of routine again.

Top Bottom