Non cyclists look upon cyclists as weird

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hyslop

Veteran
If you think people see cycling as weird, try flying kites as a hobby!
In my six years of kite buggying I managed 50mph on newgale beach, got lifted 20ft by a particularly large (9 square metres) kite in barely 5mph wind and broke more bones than rugby and cycling combined!
And they still thought it was childish...:smile:
That sounds brilliant!....well,the speed and the general idea of the thing,the broken bones?Well no obviously.But into each sunny life,a little gloom will come (of you lived in Carlisle you'd know that).I would love to have a go all the same.

petek

Über Member
Non-paid-professional MAMILs have always struck me as being a bit weird.
For the hobby-bicyclist, tweed is far more weatherproof and practical than is lycra.
Ordinary cyclists though... salt of the earth.

bigjim

Legendary Member
I love the gym. Go regularly. Sometimes drive, car or motorbike. Sometimes I take the bus or ride the bike. The bike is a bit dodgy as they are always getting knicked. I lift weights and feel great afterwards. I don't like riding in the rain or snow, so the gym is where I'm at on the days when I don't want to ride the bike. On a dark rainy day it's great to step into the gym where the lights are bright, music playing and nice people chatting to you. Feels pretty good as well to sit in the Sauna or Jacuzzi after a good workout or swim and watch the good old, cold English rain lashing against the windows.

classic33

Leg End Member
I love the gym. Go regularly. Sometimes drive, car or motorbike. Sometimes I take the bus or ride the bike. The bike is a bit dodgy as they are always getting knicked. I lift weights and feel great afterwards. I don't like riding in the rain or snow, so the gym is where I'm at on the days when I don't want to ride the bike. On a dark rainy day it's great to step into the gym where the lights are bright, music playing and nice people chatting to you. Feels pretty good as well to sit in the Sauna or Jacuzzi after a good workout or swim and watch the good old, cold English rain lashing against the windows.
To The Jim.jpg

Non-paid-professional MAMILs have always struck me as being a bit weird.
For the hobby-bicyclist, tweed is far more weatherproof and practical than is lycra.
Ordinary cyclists though... salt of the earth.

So an "ordinary cyclist" cannot wear lycra?

What strikes me as the weirdest thing - and it is nothing to do with kit - is the kind of distances you take as normal. A relative of mine got her BSO out recently and puffed and struggled all the way to a nearby park. Describing herself as exhausted and drained, she reckoned she had done about a mile. And, indeed, that can often be the experience when you first start out. Maybe, like for her, that is the final cycling experience. Not many habitual cyclists can recall how every slope was a hill. (I saw a couple pushing BSOs over a canal bridge hump the other day.)
We stopped for a rest on a hilly sportive a couple of weeks ago. A passer-by asked how far we were doing. 50 miles, I said. I don't think she believed me.
Try driving to a place you habitually ride to. It seems a very long way in a car! yet, part of the therapy of cycling is to slow down and see the world at a more "human" pace. The ride is the journey, and is the experience. Life itself. Inside a car, the journey is a frustrating and resented waste of time. You see little. You are not engaged with the landscape or the experience. "Put the radio on!"
We are weird because we see the journey as a part of life. An end not a means. You can get on your bike and spend a couple of hours riding a circular route to get back to where you started from. To do that in a car would be seen as a pointless waste of time and fuel.

slow scot

Veteran
The strange driving to the gym culture baffles me.
If people feel the need to go , why not walk , jog , cycle there and back ?

I get a few strange looks when I tell people that I cycle to the football now.
7:5 miles from my house to Celtic park.
When you tell them how much quicker bit is than taking a car , they just seem lost for words.
I'd be much more impressed if you cycled to Firhill to see the Maryhill Magyars!

Top Bottom