Non cyclists look upon cyclists as weird

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

petek

Über Member
Can you get them made in Tweed, as somebody who spent a good while surfing just down the road from you I can confirm that the sea maybe warmer elsewhere.
I wonder why they don't make tweed wetsuits.
Lack of buoyancy perhaps?
We get those kite-surfy types off the Point here in summer.
Bleddy impressive.
:smile:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Franklin refused to take advice on using animal skins, as the Inuit did, as he regarded them as savages. I'd be willing to bet that Nepali people don't wear tweedy stuff either. But there are certainly areas of controversy involved in all these sagas.

With Mallory it was not the clothing used that was at issue. Indeed the combination of alternating wool and silk layers with tweed outer has been proven a very efffective combination at high altitude. You will of course realised that Everest has since been summited using the same equipment used by Mallory. Clothing was not an issue.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Franklin refused to take advice on using animal skins, as the Inuit did, as he regarded them as savages. I'd be willing to bet that Nepali people don't wear tweedy stuff either. But there are certainly areas of controversy involved in all these sagas.

I bet the Nepalis do wear woven wool garments, admittedly not woven in Harris, and maybe Yak wool, but tweed-ish all the same.

Also,it's worth remembering that dry cold like you get in the high mountains and antarctica is a very different thing from wet cold of winter Scotland. Windproof and warm tweed isn't a bad material when it's not that wet. Down is great when dry, but conversely nigh on useless for clothing in the UK. Tweed is somewhat water resistant too and very hardwearing. I don't think I'd choose it for cycling these days admittedly, but a pair of tweed breeks would cut quite a dash on the commute I dare say

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I bet the Nepalis do wear woven wool garments, admittedly not woven in Harris, and maybe Yak wool, but tweed-ish all the same.

Also,it's worth remembering that dry cold like you get in the high mountains and antarctica is a very different thing from wet cold of winter Scotland. Windproof and warm tweed isn't a bad material when it's not that wet. Down is great when dry, but conversely nigh on useless for clothing in the UK. Tweed is somewhat water resistant too and very hardwearing. I don't think I'd choose it for cycling these days admittedly, but a pair of tweed breeks would cut quite a dash on the commute I dare say
You'd definitely need 'undercrackers' on with Tweed down there though (See post #127) :eek: :ohmy:

classic33

Leg End Member
I wonder why they don't make tweed wetsuits.
Lack of buoyancy perhaps?
We get those kite-surfy types off the Point here in summer.
Bleddy impressive.
:smile:
They do, but would it suit you?

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I said it played a part, not that it was central. I recommend a look at the biography of one of my heroes, John Rae, for details of why Franklin's exploits were such a disaster for him and his loyal men, of which his insistence on unsuitable clothes formed part, sadly.

To be fair, I didn't think they planned to be walking on the ice, so I would have expected they'd have had standard polar lattitude sailor gear of the day. Presumably that would have been tried and tested by generations of whalers and such

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider
I'd be willing to bet that Nepali people don't wear tweedy stuff either.

Indeed, but what advice on native garments for high-altitude climbing in the death zone above 8,000m do you reckon the Nepalis may have given Mallory et al, that they foolishly ignored?

Alan O

Über Member
Indeed, but what advice on native garments for high-altitude climbing in the death zone above 8,000m do you reckon the Nepalis may have given Mallory et al, that they foolishly ignored?
I suspect their only advice would have been "don't" - as far as I know, the Nepalis didn't really climb any higher than the high valleys (until the foreign climbers came along).

Thorn Sherpa

Über Member
I live in Denmark. Everyone either owns a bike or knows dozens of friends and family members who own bikes. 50% of schoolchildren cycle to school in Denmark.

We dont get smirked at. :smile:

Brilliant that such a high number ride to school, I'm the only one out of 30 plus workers who rides to work at my place and most live under 3 miles away! I pretty much get the same comments as other's have said NOT WIRED UP RIGHT, CRACKERS, MAD well there the polite ones anyway!

classic33

Leg End Member
Brilliant that such a high number ride to school, I'm the only one out of 30 plus workers who rides to work at my place and most live under 3 miles away! I pretty much get the same comments as other's have said NOT WIRED UP RIGHT, CRACKERS, MAD well there the polite ones anyway!
And the non polite ones?

Top Bottom