Non cyclists look upon cyclists as weird

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The types of rides I tend to do, are not normal, people think I’m not playing with a full deck, they’re right, I don’t let it bother me.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
We are weird because we see the journey as a part of life. An end not a means. You can get on your bike and spend a couple of hours riding a circular route to get back to where you started from. To do that in a car would be seen as a pointless waste of time and fuel.
It's interesting to note, perhaps, that a motorcyclist would do exactly what a cyclist does, and it wouldn't seem pointless at all.

I guess that the engagement with the environment is there, but compared with cycling, different aspects of the experience are emphasised.

One thing I've practically no experience of is horse riding. I remember someone telling me that as a horse rider in the countryside, you see far more wildlife up close, because all it's aware of is the approach of another animal which isn't a threat.

So maybe experienced horse riders shake their heads at the misguided people who think they're enjoying the great outdoors, but don't realise they're missing so much. I think they're weird.

petek

Über Member
Would you go swimming in a boiler suit? cycling was designed for Lycra.
Bicycling predates lycra by some decades.
Tweed , on the other hand; has been around for centuries and is eminently more practicable.

screenman

Legendary Member
Tweed , on the other hand; has been around for centuries and is eminently more practicable.

Yes of course I know about lycra, it is of course a tongue in cheek saying.

Tweed, no thanks you can keep that lot, I hate the stuff, only for old people and at 62 I am nowhere near that group.

Do you wear a boiler suit when you go swimming?

petek

Über Member
Yes of course I know about lycra, it is of course a tongue in cheek saying.

Tweed, no thanks you can keep that lot, I hate the stuff, only for old people and at 62 I am nowhere near that group.

Do you wear a boiler suit when you go swimming?
A wet suit.
The North Sea is chilly at any time of the year.

Johnno260

Veteran
People think I'm odd for cycling for sure, they point out another cyclist killed someone in the news etc, I tell them go look at deaths involving cars/trucks etc

When I do manage to cycle to work the abuse really starts.

I get told go join a gym and use the exercise bike there! lol

Profpointy

Legendary Member
It's a peculiarly British flaw, this sentimental attachment to tweed in the face of evidence that more modern or even native garments do the job required of them much better. This stubborn attachment to the imperial past played a part in the demise of many arrogant but foolish men, including John Franklin, George Mallory, and Robert Falcon Scott. Quite a powerful metaphor really, for closed minds down the ages.

I have to say, there's a bit of the blackadderish lions led by donkeys in some of that. Scott was in most ways well prepared, whilst he made errors, he also had very bad luck on the weather. He was also attempting a serious scientific expedition rather than a dash-to-the-pole like his rival. He didn't have the benefit of modern understanding of scurvy or modern materials. Likewise Mallory was using the best available materials and knowlwdge of his day, yet came a cropper doing something that is still bloody dangerous today, as do many modern mountaineers every year. I don't know enough about Franklin or whether the hubris and ill prepared complaint is valid or not.

Tweed is still a good material today and arguably one of the best available back then. They didn't have paramo and lycra back then, nor the considerably over-rated goretex

raleighnut

Legendary Member
As someone who wore Tweed trousers as a kid and know how itchy they are I'd give them a big :thumbsdown: as Sir Billy once said "Jaggardy Arse Wool"

However a nice 'Harris Tweed' sportscoat was the height of fashion in 1980-82, shame the real ones reeked of urine when they got wet, nearly as bad as a soggy Barbour jacket.

Top Bottom