Non cyclists need recalibrating

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
But health and safety was. 96 hour weeks are good for no one.
You must be a bit younger than me as I worked when more was better and still try and secure SAS. :okay:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Well, I haven't yet had an official message from the council that the missing bike parking at the new Lidl in Todmorden has been dealt with, but I discovered yesterday that it finally HAS been, 6 months after my complaint!

Lidl bike stands.jpg

Good:
  • The stands are simple but effective.
  • Room for 11 bikes, which is more bikes than I have ever seen at one time at Lidl in Todmorden. (12 if someone uses the far side of stand #6, but that would risk their bike being damaged by a careless driver parking where the black car is.)

Not so good:
  • The stands ideally should have been put where that campervan is about to park. The bikes would then be visible from within the store. I tried checking and could only see my bike from the far side of the store, by the entrance. Everywhere else, it was hidden by the black car. Bike thieves would be less likely to be spotted in the current location than in full view from the store, and where much of the 'footfall' is. (Admittedly, there is a car parking area round to the left of the building as I was facing it. I suppose we should grateful that the bike stands have not been tucked away round there, completely out of sight!)
  • They are uncovered. I'm not too fussed about that because I avoid cycling to the shops in the rain, but it would have been nice if they had spent a little more and covered them.

Anyway, at least the stands are there now.

[Whispers ... Most of the time, I am able to lock my bike to a hoop protecting a lamppost next to the trolley park opposite the store entrance. That is nearer the entrance and more public (and therefore more secure) than the new stands so I will carry on using it unless one of the other locals has beaten me to it. :whistle:]

Last edited:

BorderReiver

Veteran
Stand by for complaints from the motoring lobby that they have lost 2 parking spaces. (Tongue only slightly in cheek.) Interesting that 11 bikes can be parked in the same space as two cars.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Stand by for complaints from the motoring lobby that they have lost 2 parking spaces. (Tongue only slightly in cheek.) Interesting that 11 bikes can be parked in the same space as two cars.
Ha ha - maybe! There are still over 130 car parking spaces for what is only a medium-sized store. Surprisingly though, I have seen the car park almost full on a Sunday so somebody could end up moaning about those 2 lost spaces. (And probably park across the yellow cross-hatched area!)

But as you point out - 11 people cycling there and using 2 car spaces beats 11 people driving there and using 11 spaces.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Disappointing, because you can usually get 10 bikes in 1 car's space:
Bicycle_parking_in_Leeds.jpg

Best we had was a redrawing of a car park to add 40 cycle spaces for the loss of 1 car space.

classic33

Leg End Member
I suppose that they could have arranged it as 2 rows of 3 and only used up one car's worth of space, but then 2 bikes would have been in the danger zone!

PS Which is what classic was getting at - it's late. :wacko:
Still in the first hour, it's early.

classic33

Leg End Member
I've been getting into your habits and my day is drifting later and later. I'm trying to reverse the process by...

Yeah, by staying on the computer until 01:00-ish and then putting the TV on. Aaargh - I'm doing it again - see ya, I'm off! :laugh:
Sithi

biking_fox

Guru
Disappointing, because you can usually get 10 bikes in 1 car's space:
View attachment 462669

Best we had was a redrawing of a car park to add 40 cycle spaces for the loss of 1 car space.

I've found you can't always get any bikes into one of those, the yellow car profile is too close to the end of the loop and the loops too close to the kerb, so that at best you can get a couple slantways in. I like the concept, but as with too much cycling infrastructure the implementation is poor.

Top Bottom