Non cyclists need recalibrating

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snorri

Legendary Member
I'm nothing special and within spitting distance of 50, carrying an injury, and cycled back in some discomfort after the physio, but I still did it. If I can do it, any other able bodied person can - any objections are excuses and laziness.
Physios:rolleyes:.
Here is me lying helpless and I can't get an appointment with mine 'cos their waiting rooms are full of able bodied persons.:angry:

screenman

Legendary Member
Today I cycle 9 miles into town, dumped my bike at a mates house, walked half mile to my physio appointment, got beaten up by the physio, then did the journey in reverse. I'm nothing special and within spitting distance of 50, carrying an injury, and cycled back in some discomfort after the physio, but I still did it. If I can do it, any other able bodied person can - any objections are excuses and laziness.

Whilst I agree with your sentiments, you did not have to put a 10 hour working day in as well.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Whilst I agree with your sentiments, you did not have to put a 10 hour working day in as well.

Quite right - I used to have to do 12 hour days, and cycle to physio appointments before or after (or during, if the boss was kindly). Hell, 10 hour days is positively part time to those who've served the Queen. I wasn't born retired you know.

Flavour them any way you like, they're nothing more substantive than mere excuses.

Congest, pollute, and generally ravage our planet in any way you see fit, just so long as you've worked a 10 hour day to justify it.

Last edited:

screenman

Legendary Member
Why on earth would 10 hours of work stop you cycling before or after? I did that for 20 years.

I was replying to Drago's post.

There is no excuse for a lot of car journeys in the UK, I am not defending lazy people at all, just pointing out that not everybody has 24 hours a day to do what they will with it. I am not even sure Drago is not having a game with us, his motorbike does does less MPG than our petrol car

classic33

Leg End Member
Not physical.

You will get the odd plum who claims it was, but it obviously wasn't what I would call physical.
Spend the day turning a field by fork, walk two miles home, get a cuppa whilst you get the dinner on. Finish that and the clearing up, grab a cuppa. Then having gone to bed less than an hour before, be outside, dressed, trying to get the innards of a cow back in, via their exit route. Knowing you've to turn the field later that morning.

Hand the job over to the vet when they appear and go and get a cuppa. Then head back home and get a cuppa, before going to bed for the second time that morning.

Slick

Guru
Spend the day turning a field by fork, walk two miles home, get a cuppa whilst you get the dinner on. Finish that and the clearing up, grab a cuppa. Then having gone to bed less than an hour before, be outside, dressed, trying to get the innards of a cow back in, via their exit route. Knowing you've to turn the field later that morning.

Hand the job over to the vet when they appear and go and get a cuppa. Then head back home and get a cuppa, before going to bed for the second time that morning.
I'm not being funny or anything, but I worked a real physical job for 30 years and when I start I know I sou d like uncle Albert but there are loads of people who attended a physical job description but only a few who actually worked it and if you worked it there was nothing left for cycling. Sorry

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I was replying to Drago's post.

There is no excuse for a lot of car journeys in the UK, I am not defending lazy people at all, just pointing out that not everybody has 24 hours a day to do what they will with it. I am not even sure Drago is not having a game with us, his motorbike does does less MPG than our petrol car

So what is your physical job that wipes you out so completely that you cannot ride a bike?

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
My old Grandad used to cycle near on 30 miles each way to work as a park keeper until he retired, and didn't use it as an excuse for not doing something.

People are lazy, and this idea that its ok to pollute the planet and ravage its resources because you've been at work all day is just staggering. There aren't enough rare earth metals to make the batteries and circuits to replace every internal combustion car one for one with an electric one - people are going to get a serious shock, probably within my lifetime, when they can't lazy arriss drive a car everywhere because there won't be enough of them, and they'll then be forced to use other arrangements. They will have no choice, and all the excuses will be hollow and pointless, just as excuses didn't help during the battle of Britain, just as they didn't help during the plague, just as they didn't help when William the Conquerer popped in for a bit of light hearted conquering.

Sooner or later, always, inevitably, excuses get exposed for the hollow lies they really are.

screenman

Legendary Member
So what is your physical job that wipes you out so completely that you cannot ride a bike?

I feel you have confused me with someone else. I swim six miles a week, I gym twice a week and cycle quite a lot, I also walk to the shops. For my paid fun I did dents in cars. I dislike lazy people and their attitudes. I am also aware the some people work long hours have family commitments, long commutes, health problems etc.

Top Bottom