Non cyclists need recalibrating

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Not seen any wood burners driving to school lately.
Either too young to drive, or too old for school.

screenman

Legendary Member
There was an unintentionally funny local news item (is that tautological?) a few years ago from a very cross man who got stuck in a traffic jam, whilst driving the four miles to the gym... probably to sit on a static bike in a spin class...

Maybe he wanted an upper body workout.

For every Google search you could travel 3 inches by car on the power used, we all know short journeys and bad news.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
There's a simple answer to that, reduced visibility due to the smoke they are emitting:okay:.

Wood burners do log quite a few miles each year though.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member

@YukonBoy is the winner of the coveted Post of the Day award.
41N+2mPO+ZL.jpg

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
But in all seriousness, that's the typically facile argument trotted out by the car-lazy to justify maintaining the status quo - "someone somewhere else is also doing a spot of pollution, so we should be allowed to carry on as normal." The American gun death problem demonstrates the ridiculousness of that line of reasoning.

tyred

Legendary Member
Totally off topic but a car can run on charcoal. It was done in some places (from memory, can't remember all the details off the top of my head) in WWII by burning charcoal in restricted air supply and feeding the resulting CO into the carburettor and it then ignited in the combustion chamber to produce CO2 and to power the engine. The French in particular also used it to power tractors in this way.

I can't imagine it would produce much power in comparison to petrol but as charcoal is made from wood it is theoretically possible to have a wood-powered car.

tyred

Legendary Member
I walk 1.8 miles to work each day. It only takes me about 30 minutes. I could cycle but the one way system and other traffic restrictions around here mean I can't use the direct route (not legally at least) and the road I would end up cycling would take me through 3 major multilane roundabouts which I don't fancy when kamikaze commuters are on the loose in their tin boxes.

There are a few people I work with who lives closer to work than I do that drive to work. I endlessly get met with surprise when I tell people where I walk from and people suggest I should learn to drive or buy I car. I can drive and have a car sitting outside right now, I just choose not to use it around town except on the rare occasions I have something heavy to transport.

Since September, I work in a large site with over a thousand employees and acres of space is given over to provide parking so the car park is pretty large. Some people will come to work much earlier than they need to so they can park close to the door. The first two hours of my working day involve listening to my colleagues moan about traffic, how far away from the office door they had to park and other car-commuting gripes. People moan about how far they have to walk to the canteen, the woman who sits behind me is forever giving out that her feet hurt and that she is so tired after walking to the canteen for a cup of tea - the distance is about two hundred yards.

Prior to September and the new site large enough to bring everyone together under one roof being ready, employees were based in a number of locations around the town. I was in one on a side street just off the main street. I also walked there. We were all issued with free passes for a town centre car park nearby (I never once used mine in the fourteen months we were based there). Most people were so lazy that they never used the free parking but caused problems by blocking access roads to other businesses and residential areas and generally parking where they shouldn't because the car park was too far away to walk and the hill was too steep to walk up (the company told us the distance was 320 metres, I have no reason to doubt that, seems about right and this enormously steep hill can be climbed can be climbed by yours truely on a sit up and beg three speed bike in top gear, it's just a gentle slope). People also used to drive down the town at dinner time or whatever if they wanted something from the shops on the main street. I could walk to the main street in five minutes. Most of the people on my team who were based there are ten or more years younger than me were out of breath walking up the stairs.

Based purely on my observation of my work colleagues, it would be almost impossible to stop people making stupidly short journeys by cars as they genuinely do believe they are justified.

I am not anti-car as such, I do own one (two actually but my VW is currently declared of the road awaiting restoration) and have an interest, in classic cars in particular and I do enjoy the freedom it can bring in making random trips to places too far away to cycle but I do not believe they should not be used for short journeys around town.

Apparently 40% of car journeys in Ireland are less than 2KM. If that is actually true, 40% of traffic congestion could evaporate if people re-discovered the use of their legs.....I accept there are people who cannot walk any great distance through health problems or old age but the huge majority are just lazy lumps.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Today I cycle 9 miles into town, dumped my bike at a mates house, walked half mile to my physio appointment, got beaten up by the physio, then did the journey in reverse. I'm nothing special and within spitting distance of 50, carrying an injury, and cycled back in some discomfort after the physio, but I still did it. If I can do it, any other able bodied person can - any objections are excuses and laziness.

Top Bottom