Non cyclists need recalibrating

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
Ah, the only person in the World with kids. I'm sorry, these are excuses, not genuine objections.

No but you may be one of the few people who retired at 48. Also my lad is busy sorting other people's kids problems out not his own.

I have just been out for dinner with a Dutch couple, they wondered how our generation made such a mess of the UK transport network.

screenman

Legendary Member
I measured the school car parking line the other day 1/3 mile long, I would imagine at least half of that was parents from our small village, obesity is a huge problem in these parts as parents say they cannot afford to feed their children properly.

CXRAndy

Guru
In the spring/summer months I will regularly cycle the 8/9 miles to the local town on the back roads to drop of bits and bobs. Do a little shopping to carry back on the handlebars. Winter I take our EV car.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Cars are a dusaster for this country. Only the blind can't see it yet.

There's nothing wrong with cars. They are very useful objects. The real problem is the bone idle muppets who insist on driving one for trivial journeys of a mile or less that could easily be done on foot. There's little if any time saving over such a short distance, and it doesn't do your car any good doing loads of short journeys starting with a cold engine.
Even a lot of non-drivers are equally lazy - I know people who will stand at the bus stop and wait for a bus to turn up to travel just three or four stops down the road, a distance that could be walked in ten minutes. And they seem happy to pay the fare just to avoid using their legs. They aren't even saving any time unless the bus happens to turn up the minute they get to the stop. The mentality of large sections of the population is beyond me!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
There's nothing wrong with cars. They are very useful objects. The real problem is the bone idle muppets who insist on driving one for trivial journeys of a mile or less that could easily be done on foot. There's little if any time saving over such a short distance, and it doesn't do your car any good doing loads of short journeys starting with a cold engine.
Even a lot of non-drivers are equally lazy - I know people who will stand at the bus stop and wait for a bus to turn up to travel just three or four stops down the road, a distance that could be walked in ten minutes. And they seem happy to pay the fare just to avoid using their legs. They aren't even saving any time unless the bus happens to turn up the minute they get to the stop. The mentality of large sections of the population is beyond me!

All those roads also halved in width because of parked cars obstructing the highway. Even when not in use they are causing problems.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
I see in the paper today that t'is reckoned that road traffic is the biggest single cause of air pollution in the UK. 27% or journeys are commuting, 40% for some kind of non co muting driving. The rest is commericial vehjcles.

Suddenly the old "don't have the time" excuse seems a bit hollow when measured against to 20-40,000 people a year that die of clauses related to air pollution. To know that 67% of the biggest dorm of air pollution is caused by bone heel laziness is beyond shocking. So shocking that I'm going to talk to Mrs D about me going electric, as she has already suggested to me.

Top Bottom