Non cyclists need recalibrating

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Legendary Member
20 minutes walk to local shop, then another 20 minutes back. If I didn't have a bike, I too would take the car. My travel time would be 10 minutes including parking time and I'd have an extra half hour to watch TV or play PS4. Or to get to work.

More people would take the bike if they had an e-bike, but they're about a grand at least and if they already have a car, then why not use that?

So in conclusion, while I and many others here would take the bike, I fully get why the majority out there would not.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
What wrong with a 20 minute walk to the shop? That's a mile. Are people that lazy that a mile and back is too much?

Don't answer that - we know it is.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
What wrong with a 20 minute walk to the shop? That's a mile. Are people that lazy that a mile and back is too much?.

It's not just the walking, it's also not wanting to carry the shopping back afterwards! "what you seriously expect me to walk a whole mile there, AND walk a whole mile back with two bags of shopping?
The majority of people these days are extremely lazy. They won't walk to the shops if they can avoid it. They definitely won't walk back with shopping - at Iceland they leave it in their trolley and get it delivered later!

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
It's not really much quicker taking the car to the supermarket by the time I've driven there and found a parking space. The only advantage is being able to carry heavy or bulky objects. I only drive if I'm getting a large heavy amount of shopping. Most times I just hoof it, sometimes I'll take a hack bike with a greengrocer plastic crate strapped to the rear rack to stick the shopping in.

screenman

Legendary Member
Time restraints my arriss. There's always time to waste on twitbook or watching tv....or taking the car to be service, repaired etc.

But not as much time as you have, take my eldest, leaves home at 6.45am and returns at 7pm, not much time to walk the 3 miles to the nearest shop.

screenman

Legendary Member
Perfect distance to ensure they get their daily exercise requirement in.[/QUOTE

My point is we have to view this from other people's lives, not just our own.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
View it from their lazy lives? There s no dressing it up, no point beating about the bush - in most cases people a simply too bone idle lazy to not drive. Period.

classic33

Leg End Member
Perfect distance to ensure they get their daily exercise requirement in.
There's the three mile walk back.

Naismiths Rule gives a distance of three miles in one hour, plus 15 minutes for every 500 feet of climbing and ignore the descents(time wise) unless very steep.

screenman

Legendary Member
View it from their lazy lives? There s no dressing it up, no point beating about the bush - in most cases people a simply too bone idle lazy to not drive. Period.

The people I am talking about are not lazy, just time short as the one example I have listed is busy sorting other people's kids problems out, he is also extremely fit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom