Non-Desk Jobs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Having worked as a copper in the control room for a couple of years I can confirm the truth of this. About 1600hrs Friday the phones would start ringing from various Social Services departments and contractors telling about stuff that needed urgent action, but they were going home....

Upon investigating the following Monday they invariably knew about these issues days before the call.

Our PCC threatened to start sending them the bill and the calls did stop for a while, but eventually crept back.
#covermyarsefriday it's called.

Undertaker part time. Get to see some rather disturbing sights at times.

after years in photo lab
I worked in one of those, in Leeds, for 11 years, but got out before digital really took over
All closed down now, with all the lab staff, & the staff of 120+ (owned, not rented) shops gone

Undertaker part time. Get to see some rather disturbing sights at times.
I know, I talk to some
'Ditto' at our Mortuary on occasions

colly

Re member eR
I'm an upholsterer.

Mostly domestic rather than pubs and clubs but as I work for myself and mostly by myself that's OK, it suits me.
I've been doing it for about 30 years now and while all jobs get samey after a while almost every job I undertake is different in some respects. My days are varied and even though it might be ''another sofa'' to recover, every piece has it's own idiosyncrasies which makes things interesting. The techniques are the same but each job is different.
Antique furniture is more difficult and time consuming but it makes a change from working with modern stuff. I do get some unusual commissions which keep me on my toes such as this:

DSC_0076.JPG SDC11616.JPG SDC11600.JPG

A 2m x 3m x .7m deep pit laid into a floor and lined with leather cushioning. Made from scratch.

Sometimes it can be dirty:
SDC10741.JPG SDC10732.JPG

But when it's done it's worth it:

SDC10838.JPG SDC10865.JPG SDC10846.JPG SDC10912.JPG

So I do repairs and recovers, supply fillings, fix broken frames and springs and so on.
You would think that in the days of mass produced cheap furniture a trade like mine would be dying out. The fact is I have never been busier. I'm booked out until I go away in August and have a load of sofas to do for a hotel when I come back.
More than that though is that at the end of the day I have the satisfaction of seeing the results of my work, that knowing people appreciate what I do for them.

I had an office job for years, although even then I would get 'on-site' a good bit. I wouldn't go back.

Attachments

• SP_A0406.jpg
    SP_A0406.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 43

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Electronic engineer here.
Was persuaded to move from a bench to a desk.
I. farking. farking. Really. farking. Hate. It.
I'm looking for a get my hands dirty engineering job again. While I still have my sanity.

Last edited:

Rasmus

Without a clever title
I travel around mostly Europe, sometimes further afield, to commission newly sold equipment for plasma based etch and deposition used in semiconductor fabrication and related fields.
The job involves training customers on operation of the tools, and demonstrate that they perform to the specifications. Most customers are universities, but I get to visit proper production facilities every now and then as well.

I enjoy it very much, working in new environments and on new challenges every week.

I hope to never have the word manager in my job title. The lab is where I belong.

classic33

Leg End Member
Sh*t Stirrer, Agitator(Paid).
Both similar in the work being done, but the first one required being in it, upto the waist at times. Normally a little over knee deep though.

The second, was done from the side. Human waste only.

Neither a job for those with a weak stomach, on a warm day.

clid61

Veteran
Worked in warehousing since the 80s, seen and experienced the massive changes over the years, mainly H&S and automation. Looking to retire shortly and stack shelves in any supermarket part time ! Any part time job offers in Wigan area would be gratefully received

OP
OP
Snizzlepops

Snizzlepops

Wowzers everyone! What a great variation of work you all have done/ are doing! :okay:
As a few of you have mentioned, I have worked in retail before as well and it was great being on my feet moving stock etc but rarely got the respect from customers and managers! But luckily that was when I was a student and soon got out of that rotten industry. Since then I have worked in a large warehouse company, a theater and office equipment supplier. All very varied but I need back on my feet soon before my eyes go square.

I think the most inspiring for me was upholstery - something I have considered before as I have quite a crafty background outside of paid work and my OH works in furniture design ;)

All the best for the morning fellow desk drivers xx:banghead:

colly

Re member eR
upholstery - something I have considered before as I have quite a crafty background outside of paid work and my OH works in furniture design ;)

Get an old piece a small chair or some such and have a go. :okay: Just pay attention to how it comes apart. What you see under the top cover, the various bits of stitching , different layers etc will be there for a reason. Miss any out and it could mess up the finished product. Especially true with antique horsehair stuffed furniture.
I got into doing this in a very round about way. Started off sub-contracting everything but while that sounds OK in theory, in practice it was a nightmare.
I began by doing small repairs myself and gradually began doing more complicated stuff. Eventually I was doing it all myself. I taught myself to sew using Mrs Colly's tiny sewing machine. (buggered it up mind you)
There are things I won't tackle but that isn't because I can't do them it's more that I know how long it would take me and it would get ludicrously expensive for the customer.
If you do, give me a shout.

Top Bottom