Non driveside chainstay protector

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Look for an enclosed cam skewer.

It will probably be Shimano or Campag because I believe they hold relevant patents.

Other companies are forced to come up with different designs, which in this case are inferior.

Sheldon explains why internal is good here:

http://sheldonbrown.com/skewers.html

OP
OP
jack smith

jack smith

Veteran
The tape would just be for reassurance if it DID happen again, when it happened yesterday i was going up a 20 percent grade i thought it was break rub and dint think much of it for about 20 metres

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
But surely most bikes now have vertical dropouts? In which case the wheel won't move however loose the skewer is?

But surely most bikes now have vertical dropouts? In which case the wheel won't move however loose the skewer is?
Well, almost vertical but the point is that the axle stub eats the inside of the dropout as well, effectively widening the slot.

Remember, that a bicycle is essentially a truss, with a potential space-frame at the back. I say potential, because for it to be a spaceframe, the axle has to be rigidly attached, which it isn't with poor QRs. Therefore it moves and frets and deteriorates. Add grit and sludge in the mix and you soon have an ex-frame.

Top Bottom