North Europe - start of world tour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chris__P

Hello

Myself and a friend are planning on cycling across Northern Europe and Scandanavia next summer. For me it is the first leg of a proposed trip around the world.

Our planned route is through France - Belgium - Holland - Germany - Denmark - Germany - Poland - Lithuania - Latvia - Estonia - (Russia) - Finland - Sweden - Norway (finish in Bergen)

Has anyone done a trip like this before? Can you give any advice about some of these countries (beyond Germany, I have ridden in the first 5 before.) Also, does anyone have any recommendations for really fantastic cycling routes in any of the countries (like the west coast of Holland)

Has anyone ridden in Norway, I have heard there are some roads that go through the mountains that are impassable by bike due to going through long tunnels? And what are the conditions like in summer, will there be ice on the roads in summer etc?

Finally, does anyone have any spare maps of these countries that are no longer required?

Muchos gracias

Chris

Tony

Chris,for info about the route to Sweden,click on the links below. One of them is my trip Holland-Norwegian border last year.
Also,that site will give you shedloads of info and personal accounts.
In Norway, there are indeed many road tunnels,and they can be bastards. Where you are in Norway is important. If running up the coast,there are the hyrtigruten ferries to cut across the fjords. If inland,the roads are canalised by the hills.
Not all Norway is some mad precipitous maze of canyons,it is a bit softer in the South,and don't worry about ice in Summer. What you DO get, same in Sweden, is road gradients determined by geology. Unless you are on a major route, the underlying rock is granite,and the roads go up...and down...and up. My fastest ever loaded speed was on a road in Bohuslan in Sweden; 45mph with full camping kit.
Depending where you arrive in Sweden, but assuming it is Stockholm, there is a good and large YH on Sodermalm,and south of there is an underground shopping centre with a pizzeria and cheap(er) beer.
The route across towards Bohuslan is reasonable, going past Vanern either to the North or to the South. The southern route leads you to Uddevalla and then Stromstad for the border.
An interesting and much harder way is to head North out of Stockholm to Mora, in Dalarna ("the Dales") where there is a bear reserve and superb scenery. Back roads then lead you into Norway to the North of Oslo. That vcan be a bit hilly,and the road surfaces are subject to cracking from frost-thaw. When I was there there seemed to be a bit of confusion about "parish" boundaries, so you'd ride some good surfaces and then suddenly find a stone-filled gap where the border between parishes couldn't be agreed on.

Top Bottom