England : Lancashire North-West Passage / Mini NWP Audax - 16 Feb 2013

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
After looking at people's 2013 Audax plans, can I start with a Feb event. The 120km Mini North-West Passage plus the 200km North-West Passage organised by the West Pennine Road Club: http://www.westpennineroadclub.org.uk/audax.html

Previous threads for 2012 here and 2011 here (non-CC) and even 2009.

Before @ColinJ adds his 'alternative route' - here it is: http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Alternative-North-West-Passage - which avoids some of the A-roads, but is hillier and longer at 212km.

£6 (£8 for non-Audax UK members to enter) with a meal at the end.

Is anyone interested in joining me?

I'm undecided which one to enter, but it'll probably be the 200km as it's prep for the Cheshire Cat Long route ... which itself is prep for the Etape du Dales/Fred Whitton ... which is prep for the Wiggle Dragon Ride Gran Fondo.

Now there's some history between me and this Audax (see halfway down) - it's my only attempt at an Audax so far and it nearly beat me. The cold, rain, my poor prep and poor bike set-up meant I struggled. And I'm going back to ensure it gets a big 'tick' as completed on my list. This time, the bike will be prepped properly and I'll read the direction instructions thoroughly beforehand instead of hoping I understand them en route.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I may be. I've DNS'd this ride twice so far, once because of a clash of dates and once because of weather.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
The directions for this audax are challenging. I think that they have been re-written but to date they have not been used. The 120km ride has sometimes been described as the 200km ride with the flat bits taken out. I've completed it three times. I've already got my entry in for the 120km ride. Also entered the Goodbye Xmas Pud ride from Thorne for good measure.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The weather for that event can be anything from surprisingly good to "I'm going back to bed"! :thumbsup:

When I did my alternative version of the long route it was a nice sunny day, though it got very cold when I was doing the last couple of hills in the dark. Svendo did the event in such cold conditions a couple of years ago that his drinks bottle froze solid! :cold:

400bhp

Guru
Same here - might be interested, but not riding mostly A roads. This event was in last year's and my 2011 calendar. Weather put me off.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Did i see somewhere there is a shorter route , around 120km ?
That would be the Mini-NWP that you posted about yesterday - here! :thumbsup:

Same start and finish but it cuts out all the A-road stuff from Gisburn to Blackburn and instead cuts across via Waddington. I found a nice scenic minor road climb and descent after Whalley to cut out some more A-roads (not advisable in icy conditions though).

Top Bottom