Northern Ireland - grossly undervalued !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

redddraggon

Blondie
toroddf said:
Prove it by giving out some good routes. I am all in favour of learning something new.

*thumbs up*

Meh, I don't need to prove anything! Every route is a good route, even the 5miles up an a-road to my sisters is excellent.

I don't really know anything about northern ireland cycling and I've never been there but it does sound great. What are the best ways to get there? I'm assuming a ferry from Stranraer to Belfast would be the most bike friendly. Are there any ferries from England though? That's probably a political question.

OP
OP
T

toroddf

From Liverpool or perhaps Fleetwood some miles north of Liverpool, I also believe you can jump off on Isle Of Man and do that for 24 - 48 hours before continuing onto Belfast.

There is also a cycle friendly ferry from Troon to Larne which is the start of the Antrim Coast Road which I rate very highly.

OP
OP
T

toroddf

Kirstie said:
Apparently belfast docks are extremely dangerous to cycle through and its difficult getting out of belfast. Are there any sailings from england to larne?

I have never had any problems with Belfast Docks. We are only talking about half a mile anyway. There may be some turf wars as per usual there.

Belfast is a big city/town with all the unpleasant stuff this means. But there are cycle path criss-crossing it. I believe the resident Belfast man here will give you more info.
Anyway; Lisburn Road, Ormeau Road leading to Smithfield Road and in particular Crumlin Road is excellent exits out of Belfast.
Towards Larne, I recommend the train to Larne Town (next to last stop) and then the bike straight north. The train is cheap and cheerful.

But I regard Belfast as the most interesting town in the British Isles by many country miles. Half a day in Belfast doing sightseeing is highly recommended.

Edit: Stena Line is doing Fleetwood to Larne six times a week. Check out their homepage.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Can you cycle on the Westlink - not that I'd want to .. but just wondering if there are cycling restrictions on it? Somehow the bit immediately before it is where we have been known to get in the wrong lane and end up going around in circles.

Kirstie ... we normally cross (with the car) from Cairnryan (just up the coast from Stranrar) to Larne on the fast ferry... don't know what their bike policy is.

Thanks summerdays - I would be taking a train and bike combo but could drive if it would save time. I'm really interested in going as I have a may bank holiday tour planned with a friend. How long would it take me to get from belfast to giant's causeway and back. Would it be a 2 day ride or longer?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I don't know as I haven't cycled it.. but if you crossed to Larne you are already further around the coast road anyway...

Giants Causeway is my favourite place in the world ... you can't walk as much of it as I did as a child as they had to close part of the path after it collapsed.

These are a couple of old photo's - this was my youngest first visit when he was 1 and a half - when he was still cute. Most of the crowds just see the three causeways - would you want to do the longer walk - a few miles as that might affect the trip.

10wtesj.jpg
2i6ymm9.jpg

bigd942

Been lurking on here a while so finally see something I can help with.

To answer some of the questions.

I wouldn't advise cycling on the Westlink, it is basically a motorway.
Getting out of Belfast wouldn't be a great start to a trip, I'm not 100% with Belfast but a route out would probably be something up past the zoo and heading the old road to Ballymena or something like that. If you get into Larne you'd be pretty much on the coast road straight away. Northern Ireland tourist office would give any help they could if you contacted them, possibly even e-mailing a shop like Slane Cycles or Dave Kane Cycles would give a good route as well.
The coast road is totally flat until you reach Cushendun, after that you've a 15min climb or so then it's downhill into Ballycastle. The coast road from Ballycastle to Portrush is hilly but worth it, the inland route is flatter but hasn't the views, when I say hilly I mean short and sharp climbs 100m>200m long.
On a good summers day you could do Belfast to the Causeway without to much bother I think, turn your two day trip into three and I think you'd enjoy it more though. Plenty of good campsites along the way, Cushendun/Ballycastle etc.
I'll be honest and say that I never found the Causeway super impresive, what you do want to check out are things like the Carrick-a-Reed Ropebridge, Whitepark Bay (just don't just stand at the top - actually go and walk it), Kinbane Castle (super scary walk down), Glenariffe Park (even just ride up through it to get the downhill into Cushendall), Bushmills Distillery (for the smells alone) - they are all along the coast route.
Portrush is the Blackpool of the north coast so don't expect much except arcades and chip shops, go further on to Benone and Downhill for more good beaches. The only downside I see is this, on the weekends the coast road turns into a race track for motorbikes, they ride in big groups and will ride close to you so it's something to be aware of. The roads themselves all have a good surface and people will stop if they see you're having a problem.
If you do come during marching season, you'll see a bit of drinking etc but on the whole if you get to see a parade I'd enjoy it for what it is, you'll not forget quickly the sound of a lambeg drum if you get close to one. Riding through Cushendall etc you've a good chance of seeing a game of hurling so I'd take 5 mins to go and look. Big events would be The Northwest 200 (motor bike race in Portrush), Lamas Fair (Ballycastle) and The Airshow (Portrush again)

Hope that helps!

OP
OP
T

toroddf

Kirstie said:
Thanks summerdays - I would be taking a train and bike combo but could drive if it would save time. I'm really interested in going as I have a may bank holiday tour planned with a friend. How long would it take me to get from belfast to giant's causeway and back. Would it be a 2 day ride or longer?

I did the whole 150 miles in 18 hours. See here.

barnesy

good advice there bigd942

Get the train to larne if possible if youre wanting to do the coast road. If you do get it to belfast come out of the docks and cycle to dargan crescent i think its called, you can take the tow path from there bringing you up to carrickfergus then a quick cycle onwards to Larne.

Cycling in Belfast isnt bad and ive had no real issues. I live in West belfast and there ae some cracking roads up over the mountains taking you out towards the airport.

I enjoy doing the ards peninsula although i hate the cycle to bangor just past sydenham.

But id definitely recommend people to park at bangor and make your way downt he coast to partaferry then you can come back up to bangor via Ards.

Im going to do the antrim coast road there and back as a 2 day tour soon to get me ready for my malin head to mizen head cycle

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
bigd942 said:
Portrush is the Blackpool of the north coast so don't expect much except arcades and chip shops, go further on to Benone and Downhill for more good beaches.

Oi - that's were my first trips to the beach were spent - well there and Portstewart :smile:. And thinking about it, my eldest's first experience of the sea and waves - you know the one where they run down to the sea ... only to see it coming towards them and run screaming back up the beach.

Echolalia

Veteran
Coming over to Ireland this summer for a month of cycle touring, ever see anyone camping in the wild? Are Irish farmers happy with it from anyone's personal experience? Wales was very good last week when I was there.

jags

Guru
campsites up north are expensive 15 to 17 pounds per night.correct me if im wrong .and if anyone know's where the better cheaper sites are please share.

Top Bottom