Northern Rock Cyclone 2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
It's coming up fast! Really looking forward to this, despite a slightly dodgy knee and lack of cycling over the last fortnight. In April/May I managed to fit in a 108 mile ride, plus a couple of 70+, so feeling fit enough.

Mark_Robson

I need to do more hills. Time is slipping by.

OP
OP
addictfreak
We will hopefully be at the start as a club, should be around 17 of us all in club kit (Sunderland Clarion). Plan is to stay together for as long as possible, we all have different targets so it wont be long before we are spread along the highways and byways of Northumberland.

For any of you who have not done this ride before, it is best to register leazes park on the Friday night. Then you can enjoy the crits or the sights of Newcastle.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
OK, let's have a count... who's doing this on here? I am, doing the 100 miler. It's a great event, the meat in a sandwich of cycling splendiferousness.

KEEF

Veteran
Ill be there what I will be doing I don't know it depends if I can escape from Joshua age 3 who only travels via bike trailer!

carolonabike

I'm doing the 67 mile route and Mr Carolonabike is doing the 107.

I'd have liked to do the 100 route but I'm not fit enough yet. Next year definitely.

OP
OP
addictfreak
107 for me, theres 17 of us from Sunderland Clarion CC. We should all be together at the start, all in club kit so it should look quite impressive.

I doubt we will stay together for long, some have aspirations of gold standard, personally im after silver and some will be glad to make it it round.

Say hello if you see me, i should be on a white scott

KEEF

Veteran
I will either be on a blue Ribble for the 100 miler or a Giant Boulder with trailer and three year old Joshua for short as poss because he is a slave driver
laugh.gif

carolonabike

You lot should be easy to spot then addictfreak. I'll be on a black & white Trek. Say hello if you see me and if you pass me on a hill a push wouldn't go amiss :biggrin:

Are you cycling there and back too? I was wondering about taking them up on the special deal for parking at the airport. Any thoughts?

OP
OP
addictfreak
Im lucky enough to have arranged parking in Gosforth for myself and club members. Its about 2 miles from the start.

Parking can be a little crazy around the start. So if you can park at the airport I would go for it. I arrived at the start early last year (around 8am) and parking near the ground was near impossible.

As for cycling up, well that would add at least 30 miles to the today not mention an even earlier start!

Norry1

Legendary Member
I'm doing the 107 miler with Mike (TheMax from on here). I've never done 100 miles before and I've never climbed 8,000 feet before so I expect it to be a challenge.

Mike keeps muttering about meeting the Silver standard which worries me
blush.gif

Martin

OP
OP
addictfreak
I'm doing the 107 miler with Mike (TheMax from on here). I've never done 100 miles before and I've never climbed 8,000 feet before so I expect it to be a challenge.

Mike keeps muttering about meeting the Silver standard which worries me
blush.gif

Martin

There are certainly no big hills on the route, just lots of (smaller) climbs. What you might call undulating :whistle:

To achieve silver you will have to average a min of 16.5 mph without stopping. I just missed it last year so hoping to do it this time.

Its a great course and if the weather is good you will really enjoy it.

Paul_L

Über Member
I'm meant to be doing the 107m. Bit unsure though as i've just got back from a 2 week family holiday which has entailed much eating and drinking and bugger all exercise.

Prior to the holiday my training was going well, although my longest ride so far is 65 miles, BUT that was the Keswick Sportive, with 3000m of climbing.

I'm minded to switch down to the 66mile route, but would really like this to my first century.

Thoughts anyone? Is the step up from 65 to 107 too much especially given the loss of fitness in the last 2 weeks.

Top Bottom