Northern Rock Cyclone 2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

G-Zero

Über Member
Good luck to all of you this weekend :thumbsup:

Loadsa mates, colleagues and wife's colleagues riding NR'11 this weekend.... making me feel well left out as an MTB'r and well unfit :sad:

One day.... :whistle:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Rain, rain, go away...

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Got rained on from start till about Whalton. Occ light shower after that, but nothing serious.107.5 miles, ride time of 7:20, plus stops gives official time of just a shade under 8 hrs. My longest time for cyclone 100, but as this was a wee bit longer, was actually higher average speed. Very windy up on the moors, and I was v tired towards end. Fantastic ride though, always a good experience, and v well organised.

Mark_Robson

I did the 67 mile route and TBH it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be and I did it in a total time of 5.26, including breaks and a puncture repair.
I have to agree that it was very well organised and a good day out. I need a new pair of knees though.

OP
OP
addictfreak
7.03 riding time, 7.17 with stops.

Very disappointed 25 minutes slower than last year. Had quite a hard day in the saddle, suffered cramps for 40 miles.

Seemed to be an eventful ride, saw the aftermath of 3 or 4 crashes, saw the event ambulances out on blues and twos a couple of times.

One of the club lads even managed to snap his frame near Otterburn.

Great organisation as usual, a big thank you to all concerned.

Mark_Robson

Funny enough AF I had a few issues with cramp today as well. BTW you and another guy passed me in Ponteland, I tried to catch you up to say hello but I was hemmed in and couldn't break out before you disappeared into the distance, at a very impressive pace.

OP
OP
addictfreak
Funny enough AF I had a few issues with cramp today as well. BTW you and another guy passed me in Ponteland, I tried to catch you up to say hello but I was hemmed in and couldn't break out before you disappeared into the distance, at a very impressive pace.

I have spoken to a few people since the ride and an awful lot had issues with cramp. Personally I think mine was down to lack of training.

We were averaging around 19 mph, until I blew and had my cramps. From there on it was a struggle.

Paul_L

Über Member
great day. My first century :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

ride time 7h23. Official time 7h57.

Enjoyed the route a lot, nothing to steep but undulating all the way. I'm not familiar with the area at all but the hill with the head wind was a bugger.

As it was my first 100, i started very steady, was overtaken a lot in the first 20miles, but resisted temptation to hook onto a group. Was in two minds about dropping to the 66 but glad i didn't. Just after the split hooked up with a local lass who'd done the course a couple of times before and we rode about 70miles together, which was ace. Good company and we helped each other over the climbs.

Thought the Ryals were not too bad, had expected worse with all the talk of them.

Thought the organisation was great, and i too saw a couple of crashes so hope all involved are ok.

One thing i noticed is a hell a lot of people got punctures? Much more than i've seen at any other sportive before.

Norry1

Legendary Member
Back home in Warwick now. My first 100 and really enjoyed it. Total time of 6.59 - not sure of moving time as Mike who I rode with, went off with my goody bag and garmin and I've got his!

Managed a new fasted speed of 47.5mph somewhere along the route as well.

Good event.

I took a few pics and will post them up tomorrow.

Martin

Oh and Crits were good too

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
7.03 riding time, 7.17 with stops.

suffered cramps for 40 miles.

Funny enough AF I had a few issues with cramp today as well.

I have spoken to a few people since the ride and an awful lot had issues with cramp.

Hmm... me too, with the cramps.... didn't acutally go, but felt like it was going to go from just before Ryals all the way back. From Stamfordham onwards, I was being really careful. Finally got a cramps when I sat down having finished! Didn't see any crashes, but yes, there were loads of punctures (Northumberland roads are getting worse... repairs last 3 winters haven't really been done that well, though I noticed some parts today had been resurfaced. Also saw a couple of derailleurs detatching quite ominously.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
We should stop selling ourselves short. The route was 108 miles. It was the extra 4 that got me :thumbsup:

I saw some Sunderland Clarioners heading for the start, and then one or two passed me en route. Was going to shout out "hey, is one of you addictfreak?" but ... erm ... it felt odd, so I didn't.

Did anyone see the guy doing the 108 on a folder? I commented on it, but I think he'd had one too many comments by that time, and he was a bit "feck off and leave me alone" in attitude.
smile.gif

Top Bottom