Northern Rock Cyclone 2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paul_L

Über Member
I saw some Sunderland Clarioners heading for the start, and then one or two passed me en route. Was going to shout out "hey, is one of you addictfreak?" but ... erm ... it felt odd, so I didn't.

Did anyone see the guy doing the 108 on a folder? I commented on it, but I think he'd had one too many comments by that time, and he was a bit "feck off and leave me alone" in attitude.
smile.gif

I saw 2 folders on the 108.

Also saw a front and rear sus MTB with what look like 1.75inch nobblers on it.

Hip Priest

Veteran
Well done all. I live right next to Kingston Park stadium, and the first I knew of it was seeing loads of cyclists turning up. 67 miles would be impossible for me at current fitness levels, but one for the future maybe.

amir

Über Member
I saw a Moulton on the 100.

My mileage read as 107.7. When I did the cyclone in 2008, it was 101 miles & I missed silver by 2 mins (i blame the level crossing). The standard was 6 hrs 30. The standard time is the same but I missed it by 12 mins this time despite a .5mph improvement. Bit annoying!

graham56

Guru
I saw some Sunderland Clarioners heading for the start, and then one or two passed me en route. Was going to shout out "hey, is one of you addictfreak?" but ... erm ... it felt odd, so I didn't.

Did anyone see the guy doing the 108 on a folder? I commented on it, but I think he'd had one too many comments by that time, and he was a bit "feck off and leave me alone" in attitude.
smile.gif

I saw him at around 5pm, he was at Callerton Rd Ends with about 3 ml to the finish.I was on my way home having collected my daughter from the Metro station. Didn't think anyone would try it on a folder. Still, well done to him.

carolonabike

I had a great day, I did the 67 miler. This is the furthest I have ever ridden and I really enjoyed it. 4.38 riding time, 5.33 with stops. The only hiccup I had was when my chain came off.

Unfortunately, I somehow forgot to get my card swiped at the checkpoint at Forestburn and didn't realise until I was talking to someone who mentioned how much better it was having the checkpoint at the bottom of the hill, unlike last year. By this time I was up the hill and over the otherside and there was no way I was going back :sad: So, I'm down as doing 33 miles in 5 and a half hours, which is a bit embarassing. :blush:

Still, I know I did the full 67 and I have my garmin to prove it. I won't make the same mistake next year though!

Mr carolonabike did the 107 and he suffered badly with cramp. There seems to have been a lot of it going round. He also had a puncture and his chain came off. He still managed 6.21 though. Impressive.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
There were some real idiots driving away from Kingston Park, while I was riding home after. One in particular stuck in my memory- the driver of a grey Golf, with 2 smart road bikes on the roof, who swerved in and out of the gaps between cyclists accelerating and braking hard into tight spaces, driving north to the Wheatsheaf roundabout. Cyclist mode switched off as soon as he got behind the wheel!

Mark_Robson

Cramp seems to be have been a major player this year. This is the first time that I have ever experienced cramp on a ride and it blooming hurt! Guess I tried too hard.

Next year I'm going to train for the big'un.

Sitka

There must have been something in the water! I had terrible cramp not long after going over the Ryals, just when I thought it would be all plain sailing back to Kingston. Unbelievable pain for about ten minutes. Managed to get off the bike and dance around for a bit which seemed to cure it. First time it's ever happened! Great weekend...congrats to the organisers who did a fantastic job.

Arsen Gere

Über Member
Hi,
Another cyclone rider here, I had bad cramp too and I don't normally have a problem. It started on Bilsmoor. IMHO it was down to the head wind on the climbs, it had me in a bigger gear pushing harder than I would normally, I was alone for big chunks of the ride. Plus the wind dehydrates you, I went through 4 litres of fluid.

I was my first 100 for 25 years, I normally do sprint tri's now.

I had cramp so bad on the bottom of the ryals I had to walk for a bit, it helped it wear off. Then I was away again only to puncture at the timing station in Stamfordham.

Kind of embarrassing since I'd once been second in the KOTM competition in the Beaumont trophy !

Top Bottom