Northern Rock Cyclone Challenge 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Fnaar

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Do I win the prize for the least attended forum ride? Just me :laugh:
Never mind, it's going to be a lovely ride anyway :rofl:

Fnaar said:
Do I win the prize for the least attended forum ride? Just me :laugh:
Never mind, it's going to be a lovely ride anyway :rofl:

Must be your aftershave mate;)

Seriously im truly gutted that I cant make it, the weather looks near perfect too. Hope you have a good day:becool:

OP
OP
Fnaar

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Lovely ride :rofl: in great spring weather, thought wind got up a bit (from east) for last hour or so. Did ride from Dyke Neuk all way round as planned, except Stamfordham/Ponteland bit (P'land is out of my way, really, so I did a more interesting route home from Stamfordham). 88.6 miles clocked on the day, and feeling good! (except I get in and Mrs F tells me the car's knackered... c'est la vie) :biggrin:

OP
OP
Fnaar

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Mark_Robson said:
I'm glad that you enjoyed it Fnaar. How were the hills?

Not too bad, tbh! Was a bit knackered by the time I got round to Ryal, but managed them just the same (once you've done the first, second one is less of a challenge). Cheers

Fnaar said:
Lovely ride :rofl: in great spring weather, thought wind got up a bit (from east) for last hour or so. Did ride from Dyke Neuk all way round as planned, except Stamfordham/Ponteland bit (P'land is out of my way, really, so I did a more interesting route home from Stamfordham). 88.6 miles clocked on the day, and feeling good! (except I get in and Mrs F tells me the car's knackered... c'est la vie) :biggrin:

Glad to hear you enjoyed it, a long slog on your own:blush:

Once I had got my family duties out of the way i managed 42 myself. But im sure your scenery was much better.

LizardEye

Did the 64 miler today in prep for the 104 in five weeks time (eek!).

Turned out to be quite a nice day, although did have a headwind up Ritton Bank and the Ryals which was nice.

Funniest moment was being eyed up and down by a group of 'pros' loitering on a corner as they tried to decide whether I was one of them, or just a bloke on a bike.

Gonna need some serious hill training mind - those hills make my usual routes look like Holland.

Mark_Robson

Are you using a compact or standard chainset?

LizardEye

I'm using a triple but even with grannies help those really steep ones were a bit of a struggle. Not that I'd expect to fly up them mind - I think I've just gone a bit soft over the winter.

OP
OP
Fnaar

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
LizardEye said:
Did the 64 miler today in prep for the 104 in five weeks time (eek!).

Turned out to be quite a nice day, although did have a headwind up Ritton Bank and the Ryals which was nice.

Funniest moment was being eyed up and down by a group of 'pros' loitering on a corner as they tried to decide whether I was one of them, or just a bloke on a bike.

Gonna need some serious hill training mind - those hills make my usual routes look like Holland.

Cool. I did most of the 64 on Saturday. BTW, haven't suggested any dates for another 'group' effort (which ended up as me & my shadow) as May is all a bit up in the air for me... kids, Mrs F, sudden need to go and buy a new car etc etc). If I get a deffo date, I'll suggest up here again.

Compact chainset for me :-)

LizardEye

I'm planning to do the 'top bit' starting at Rothbury, through Elsdon, Otterburn, Colwell and then back up to Rothbury by the 64 route, probably weekend after next.

At least then I'll have done all the route and will know just how hard it's going to be. Or should I not bother and remain blissfully ignorant of the joys of Billsmoor?

My milage has taken a serious hit lately, just not had the time to commit to riding. MrsAF has decided the whole house needs decorating:sad:

Will try over the next few weeks to get some miles in. May have to drop down to the 64 on the day. Unless I hook up with a group going at my pace.

Sorry for being away for so long.

Fnaar, sorry for not being out on the practice run but went home for Easter and found that the coputer back there had blown up so couldn't get in contact.

Went up the Ryals yesterday into an easterly wind!?! Forgot how steep they were.;) At least the easterly helped with going out along the Military Road, pleased with the fact I did 53 miles on not much more than a cereal bar and not feeling any ill effects today.

Just need to up the mileage now to get up to 100 for the day, so if anyone wants to get out to do 70/80 miles (about 4-4.5 hours?) I would be happy to get the miles in.

OP
OP
Fnaar

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Once you've got up the first Ryal, the second is less difficult, I find... I don't ususally go out that way, but I've been up them 3 times now in the last month ;) I might be up for a long ride Saturday 22nd... negotiations ongoing ... :hugs: Mrs F away this weekend (me on kid duty), so a 'payback' Saturday is on the cards... :smile:

Top Bottom