Norwich 100

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rothair

Anyone else taking part in this one? Feel wonderfully under prepared and really need a break in the weather to get the miles in...Looking forward to it all the same

colinr

I'm considering it but feel equally under prepared. Need to get out on the new bike and do some actual distance!

Will1985

Über Member
Unsure this year - they need to change the route as it was pretty much the same for the previous two events. Finished it in 4:45 last year with rain for most of the way back as a 3-up with Heart Attack and one of his clubmates.

There's still plenty of time to get some miles in and enough riders to draft off if you have to.

Russdee

Not doing the Norwich but doing the Fred Whitton. Been ill with a persistant chest infection - one month to go and struggling to get the miles in. Looks like I will be taking some time off work to get some long rides in.

Good luck with the Norwich - was going to do it by fly back from hols on that day. A week in Italy with the Bike!

I have ridden it before, if you are struggling a bit, would be good to latch onto a group and just sit in the pack for the first bit.

Have fun!

Cheers

Russdee

BigSteev

Will1985 said:
Finished it in 4:45 last year with rain for most of the way back

Impressive. My recollections are of it starting to rain about 5 minutes before I set off and then stopping about 10 mins after I finished. Think it took about 5:35 but that was without draftees for the most part.

Boatman

I have never done anything like this before and don't think I would be fit enough. Can do 30 miles in about 2hrs at the moment. Thought I would try rides like these maybe next year when I have more miles in my legs. Have never ridden with any one but myself as well, a billy no mates!

colinr

There's a 50 mile option too. If you can do 30 you can do 50! Where in Norfolk are you? I'm always happy to do an informal ride, I'm in central Norwich.

OP
OP
R

rothair

Boatman said:
I have never done anything like this before and don't think I would be fit enough. Can do 30 miles in about 2hrs at the moment. Thought I would try rides like these maybe next year when I have more miles in my legs. Have never ridden with any one but myself as well, a billy no mates!

Give it a go Boatman....I only got a road bike about 6 weeks ago. I too can do about 30 miles in just under 2 hours. I am trying to increase my distances by about 10 miles a week in prep...Will probably not get to 100 before the race...but will give it a rip and challenge myself. Hoping it will be easier riding with others and playing off them...

colinr

4:45 is unthinkably fast! I can't average that on a 40 in good weather :rofl:
Must work harder.

Will1985

Über Member
colinr said:
4:45 is unthinkably fast! I can't average that on a 40 in good weather :rofl:
Must work harder.
Speaking of good weather, were you out in a CC top this morning? You may have been spotted by my mother in Hempnall!
I've just got back from a 110km loop to Dunwich and back in an almost "unthinkably fast" time. This was solo, but working as a group it's surprising how easy it is to maintain ~34km/h

colinr

Speaking of good weather, were you out in a CC top this morning?

I was indeed, was on my way to getting lost and finding myself in Harleston. A mere 70k at ~29kph, that 100mph is looking challenging right now.

colinr said:
I was indeed, was on my way to getting lost and finding myself in Harleston. A mere 70k at ~29kph, that 100mph is looking challenging right now.

After Hempnall you must have passed our house in Fritton! Then I missed you in Harleston at about 1215. I went on to Halesworth - Beccles - Ditchingham - Home

Did you get a bike with more than 1 gear as you promised yourself last year! What did you get?

colinr

I ended up going back via the A143 which was horrible. Are you planning on doing the 100?

Did indeed get myself a geared bike, a nice second hand Orbea.

JensR

Über Member
Is the route going to be City centre - Mousehold - Acle - Coast - Felbrigg - Blickling and back as it was back in 2007? It doesn't seem worth my while to bring my bike back to Norfolk for a weekend for that but it was my first 100 mile ride all those years ago. Just over 1000m climbing (undulating roads rather than hill climbs) spread across the day with the nasties being Mousehold (not really bad at all) and somewhere near Kelling IIRC.

@rothair - 100 miles in Norfolk is not too punishing. Try and build up the miles in advance if you can (50-60-70 mile rides out to the coast by Palling/Kelling) are a good base) but remember as Will says: with this ride there are so many other riders, that you can just hang on to a group who go at a similar pace.

Will1985

Über Member
No, it's the same route as last year - out to Reepham, north to Wells, stop at Sheringham High School, follow coast round to Horsey, across to Coltishall, then drop down into Norwich. Only difference is that it starts in the Close rather than outside the Forum.

Top Bottom