Norwich 100

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hambones

Been looking at this event and may well enter on the day. I am also doing the London-Southend (and back) and London-Cambridge (and back) later in the summer. Did these two last year and managed to average over 23 on the outward leg each time. However this year will be very different as I have persuaded 12 members of work to join me on the ride to Cambridge, some of whom are convinced they can complete without doing any training beforehand!! :laugh:

Helly79

Boatman said:
Not enough miles to do 100 so have signed up for the 50. No 2404 if anyone passes me give a wave. Hope the weathers like this morning, rode from Cromer to Wells and then back through the lanes.

I am going to book mine on Tuesday when I get payed so will look out for you and ring my bell. :laugh:

tmcd35

If the weather is as hot as today then god help us all. I'm starting to have some very serious reservations having signed up for the 100 miler.

I've just got back from my first ever 75miles. Took a trip out to Well-next-to-Sea and back.

The heat of the sun from around 11:30 through to around 4:30 was unbarable. I started riding back at 3pm and it took me over an hour to do the 9 miles to Fakenham. The sun was just zapping all energy from me and I was dihdrating far to quickly.

On the plus side I headed out on the Norwich 100 route as far as Guist before turning off and heading for Fakenham and Wells. The route out to as far as Guist is pretty flat and very, very enjoyable.

The hills the other side of the A148 are (not) going to be fun!

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
tmcd35 said:
If the weather is as hot as today then god help us all. I'm starting to have some very serious reservations having signed up for the 100 miler.
12 days away from the 6th and so am I. Truth be told, in fact I'm seriously kacking myself over this.
I haven't ridden 100 in 20 years, although recently I've been doing some quite hilly 50s and started to up the commute once a week to 30 each way.
I'm pretty quick on the commute, but I assume that doesn't equate to the stamina needed for 100.
I have loads of sponsors I can't let down.
Any good advice out there, please?

e-rider

crappy member
don't catch a cold/flu in the next 10 days (I just have, and it's really screwed my training).

The usual tips:

1. Don't start too fast (100 milers don't start 'til 50)
2. Take even the small 'climbs' steady as they can really drain your energy throughout the day if you sprint up them all.
3. Drink plenty and eat later in the ride (but not too late)
4. Ride in a group and share the work if possible
5. Relax and enjoy it.

tmcd35

tundragumski said:
3. Drink plenty and eat later in the ride (but not too late)

I'd be interested in hearing more on this after Sundays f'up (pardon the french).

Heading out was easy. Took me around 3.5hours to cover the 35 or so miles from Norwich to Wells. The 1.5l of water I started out with lasted me the whole journey there.

I bought a lucazade and another 1.5l for the journey back once I arrived in Wells. Half the water was gone in the before I got to Fakenham, barely 10 miles away. And I was completely out by around 15miles from home. Thankfully I got to Reepham where I bought a large coke and the barman agreed to give one of my bottles a refill.

It took me 5 hours to cover the same 35miles back that only took 3.5hrs in the morning.

I felt the sun was completely zapping all my energy reserves. I didn't seem to be able to take on enough water quick enough before I'd sweated it all away again.

I suppose, in my usual long winded way, what I am asking is - how much water do people expect to need for a 100 mile ride? And how do you cope with 30 degree heat, no breeze to speek of, and little or no moisture in the air?

Helly79

Last year I carried quite a few snack bars and sports drinks to see me through 50. I made sure I stoped at every rest point and had a snack bar and 5 min rest.

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
I assume there will be onlookers standing outside their houses to cheer us on, armed with hosepipes?

Portable snacks: flapjacks, bananas, or both? Any other recommended proprietary products, please?

e-rider

crappy member
tmcd35 said:
I'd be interested in hearing more on this after Sundays f'up (pardon the french).

Heading out was easy. Took me around 3.5hours to cover the 35 or so miles from Norwich to Wells. The 1.5l of water I started out with lasted me the whole journey there.

I bought a lucazade and another 1.5l for the journey back once I arrived in Wells. Half the water was gone in the before I got to Fakenham, barely 10 miles away. And I was completely out by around 15miles from home. Thankfully I got to Reepham where I bought a large coke and the barman agreed to give one of my bottles a refill.

It took me 5 hours to cover the same 35miles back that only took 3.5hrs in the morning.

I felt the sun was completely zapping all my energy reserves. I didn't seem to be able to take on enough water quick enough before I'd sweated it all away again.

I suppose, in my usual long winded way, what I am asking is - how much water do people expect to need for a 100 mile ride? And how do you cope with 30 degree heat, no breeze to speek of, and little or no moisture in the air?

If the temperatures are in a fairly normal range of say anywhere between 10 degrees to 28 degrees (which is likely) I'd consume 3L of isotonic drink (nuun - without sugar) for a 100 mile ride (that's 6x 500mL bottles - I carry 2 bottles on the bike so it means I'll need to refill twice; I carry the isotonic tablets in my pockets and just add them to water)

If it's 30+ degrees I'll probably need 4L for the 100 miles.

I expect to complete the entire ride in 6 hours. I actually prefer riding in hot weather (up to say 32 degrees); I find that cold weather drains my energy. If it's hot it's important to where the correct light clothing and to keep moving at a decent speed as the air will keep you cool. As soon as you slow down (on a hill) or stop (at traffic lights) you really feel the heat!

e-rider

crappy member
I have a question.

3 years ago the Norwich 100 route went up a really steep hill just before the Felbrigg Hall stop - does anyone know the name of that hill?

Will1985

Über Member
I've heard a few names - Sandy Lane is the road, while I've also heard Beacon Hill (which I think is actually closer to the coast) and Roman Camp Hill.

colinr

12 days away from the 6th and so am I. Truth be told, in fact I'm seriously kacking myself over this.

You're not alone - I've never ridden 100 so am slightly nervous about it. Plus I'll be putting extra pressure on myself to make a decent time :becool: Figure I'll find a group I can keep pace with and go from there (7.10 start for me)

Drink plenty and eat later in the ride (but not too late)

What's the most convenient thing to eat, do gel bars count, because they taste really nice. I've also got to come up with a non-luggage means of carrying more than 0.5l of water because my small frame can't fit anything bigger. Jersey pockets are meant to take bottles right?

colinr

Ignore that, I can squeeze a 750ml on and stick a 500ml in my jersey. The weather just has to promise not to get too hot.

What's the best way to attach my rider number? I've never partaken in such formalities before.

maddog.mark

I'm waiting to see what the weather's going to be like. Last year was horrible and I don't fancy 100 miles in that. If it's half decent I'll go for the 100, a decision I'll probably regret after 70 miles.

Is the 100 route the same as 2008 with the exception of the start. I heard rumour that the 50 mile stop is at Sheringham high school and not Felbrigg, which takes out the climb to Aylmerton (the highest point in Norfolk).

Thanks

Mark

colinr

Entry pack says the stop is in Sheringham but doesn't give any details beyond that. Forecast is currently good, if it's horrible I may consider my entry fee a donation and stay in bed.

Top Bottom