Not a Christmas Night Ride to Bognor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Finally home, no great thanks to south west trains, their poxy engineering work and jobsworth bus drivers or altered timetable cutting my station out completely, grrrr!

Its taken almost as long to get home as it was to get there!

Anyhow, hope the others have had a safe continuing journey on to the elusive Bognor.

Write up and pics soon, sleepies now for me.

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
[QUOTE 1246987"]
Please tell me it was not the Ksyrium?:ohmy:
[/quote]

I would have cried if it was... Shimano rs10..

TimO

Guru
I've just made it home, and was welcomed by a hungry Talisker. :biggrin:

The ride was most enjoyable, although after over a month with virtually no cycling, it took a toll on my legs. The weather was quite mild, and there was quite a bit of blue sky as we got near to Bognor, but that seemed to evaporate whist we had our breakfast.

Aside from the two instances outlined above, the ride was otherwise uneventful. No fairy visitations whatsoever. My front gears decided to play silly buggers, and the chain came off a number of times. A brief fettle at Pease Pottage Services mostly solved that, but some more extensive fettling in depth is required.

The Arkel Randonneur rack worked reasonably well, but needs some fettling, since it had a tendency for the quick release to release itself far too often, resulting in a rattling rack.

The experiment with the Eye-Fi card and my phone as a hot-spot seems to have worked OK. So long as you keep the image size reasonably small, and don't rely on the timeout to switch off the hot-spot and consequent battery suckage, it works. Unfortunately, since the hot-spot software didn't seem to realise that no one was using it, and kept it powered up, the battery died around breakfast time. For some reason it's currently refusing to restart (even though it has done that before), so it won't complete the upload of the last few images, which is odd.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I'm home now. Just managed to get my ton. Not the 160 I was hoping for but it wasn't Davy's fault. We'd already decided he couldn't cycle home BEFORE he crashed!!!! :whistle:

Cheers to Adam for organising this and to the company it was a good ride! I look forward to partaking in more of Adam's rides this year, the round the M25 if it happens again looks fun!!

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Lucky the 'idiot' wasn't in a car Stu1 :smile: Well done.
I bet it's hot in Pease Porridge Pottage :rolleyes:

He was. Along London Road in Mitcham, by Figges Marsh (where we've often stopped en route to Brighton on FNRttCs), there was some roadworks & a contraflow system. The car overtook us & then turned left, right in front of me. I didn't have a chance to get out of the way or stop in time- I tried, and got myself and the bike parallel to the car but went down in the attempt. Fortunately, no damage to me or the bike other than the scraped wrist. The guy had the decency to come back & check I was OK- he said his mirror was misted up & that he thought he'd got past all of us (I didn't point out that meant he would block our path). No real harm done.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Glad you ok Stu.. not really bovvered about Davy..
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Attachments

• biggrin.gif
    biggrin.gif
    514 bytes · Views: 52

StuAff

Right, apart from those two little mishaps, that was a really great evening. No problems with the train, and I was first to HPC. Weather was pretty much perfect- a bit of drizzle at one point, but the expected tailwind did actually materialise. Rather rolling- I don't think Davy would have enjoyed the second half- but I definitely preferred that to the chalk path and cross-country walking alternatives. Excellent ride, excellent company, and an excellent breakfast at the Lobster Pot.
And Reigate Hill- conquered. First time I've been back there, normal safe descending resumed.

OP
OP
Flying Dodo

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
Well, all in all, it (almost) went better than expected (no, really).

During the week, I'd been noting the patch of cloud cover which had generally been sticking over the south east and keeping night time temperatures above freezing. However, when on Thursday morning due to a clear patch developing, it was very cold with thick ice on the cars, I was starting to get a bit concerned and was considering cancelling. Fortunately, all the Met sites seemed to agree that the cloud would return on Friday night, and that it would barely get down to freezing.

Setting off for London just before 10 pm, the cars were still clear, but by the time I got towards the centre of London, it was getting colder. As I was early, I wasted a bit of time by playing with the GPS and zig zagging down roads parallel to the A5. Regardless, I still got there for around 11.30, just after Stu, where it was freezing (literally). The other brave souls - Martin, Tim and Davy rolled up within 10 minutes. Davy seemed a bit "larger" than normal which it seemed was due to him wearing 5 layers of clothes. He was finished off head to toe in green day-glo outer layers, and the colour did remind me of something, but I didn't realise what it was until Pease Pottage.

As I assumed no-one else was going to turn up, we left at 11.52 pm - sorry if someone had actually turned up at the last minute. There was no need for a Dellzeqq parting of the seas operation to hold up the traffic, as we just merged into the melee and headed off south west. By the time we got to Clapham Common, it had got rapidly warmer, and you could have cycled without gloves. Following on the traditional Brighton FNRttC route, we made steady progress through Tooting towards Streatham, although we were keeping the pace slightly slower than a normal ride, as I didn't want us to get too far south early on, in case of freezing patches . It was noticeable that there was less night life around, and to everyone's surprise, we all spotted a Waitrose in Balham High Street which we couldn't recall noticing there before.

And then, as mentioned above, someone decided Stu was a figment of his imagination and decided to turn left straight in front of him which happened so fast. The driver started to move away, but did turn round and come back to sheepishly apologise. I pointed out he couldn't have failed to see all five of us so why then turn across? Hopefully Stu's blood stained knuckle will have made a dent in his car.

I don't know what pheromones Stu was giving off to attract further attention, but further on in Wallington going up the hill after the railway station, some yoof decided to start sprinting after him to show how clever he was in being able to run as fast as a cyclist for a short while. Stu did the right thing and ignored him completely, and when I went past, the yoof was sprawled against a railing trying to breathe.

Out there in the sticks, it had got a bit colder, although it was clear it was well above freezing. On and on the miles past by, and as we steadily climbed, we ended up in low cloud/fog. At one point going through Coulsdon, a Land Rover went past making an incredible racket, and leaving a trail of sparks to light up the night, as he was driving on the rear off side wheel. There was an incedible stench of burning rubber, which fortunately disappeared after a while, as he must have turned off.

And then we were at the top of Reigate Hill................I made a comment suggesting that people take it easy and avoid the cat eyes, so we all girded our loins, and after letting the traditional Royal Mail lorry pass us by, we descended on the brakes (just in case). After discovering that we'd all survived, we headed off, and turned down Lonesome Lane. To greet us, not only was there the usual lunar landscape of potholes, but Surrey County Council had surpassed themselves in providing a delightful patchwork quilt of inadequate repairs including 2 holes which they'd kindly lined with tar, rather than filling the complete hole in, to soften the blow as we bounced and jangled around the obstacles, like trying to navigate around a minefield.

All too quickly we arrived in Horley, so we rapidly departed again, using my Gatwick Surprise to go past the Monsoon Shelter on the A23, beloved of previous rides, and head off to go north around Gatwick and then route around the airport. Sadly, no planes were flying so there's no spotters commentary I'm afraid. And then we got back on the A23, and by this time Davy was struggling a bit so it took some time to get to Pease Pottage Services. We were there some time, because not only did we have something to eat, but Davy had to lose some layers, as he was getting rather hot (control yourself ladies). We probably didn't leave until 5.15 am, with Stu and I heading off first. When we reached the main road again and the others hadn't caught us after a few minutes, I realised something was wrong and we headed back, to find Davy fiddling with his pride and joy roughly in front of where the red vehicle appears in the middle of this link, to the left of the long green border. Somehow he'd turned up that section thinking he could exit and due to the positioning of the overhead lights, hadn't noticed the kerb, so it appears his bike stopped and he went flying about 10 feet forward. Very luckily, he landed on his back which had his backpack, now padded with excess clothes. I instantly realised what I'd been reminded of at HPC and had this image of Davy as a Ninja Mutant Turtle, flat on his back (sorry).

Fortunately he hadn't hit anything vital on his body, but Tim spotted his front rim had buckled a bit, meaning one spoke was completely loose. As there was no way he could continue, he gingerly headed off the 2 miles to Crawley Railway Station. So that left the 4 of us, to finish the journey. Off we headed, through Horsham which was quiet but the roads were oddly damp. The next section is probably my favourite, dropping down through Coolham to West Chiltington. Fortunately Stream Lane mainly didn't live up to its name, as although there was a far amount of water around, it only briefly covered the road in about 2 places. It was now light as we still hadn't been rushing, and so we reached Amberley after 7.45 and saw the fields behind completely covered in water. After joining the B2139, we then had the long slog up the hill to the A29 roundabout, where I could give the happy news that after a short slope up, it was then a glorious 2 mile downhill and then flat to the coast. After getting stopped at the level crossing at Ford (no warning fires were visible), then it was just 3 more miles to breakfast in the Lobster Cafe at Felpham to refuel and then head for the station.

Many thanks to Martin, Tim, Stu and Davy Walnuts for agreeing to come along and for their excellent company. Hope there isn't too much other damage to your bike, Davy.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Great write-up, Adam. And the thought of a dayglo green Davy lying on his back fiddling with his pride and joy is one that will stay with us all........

StuAff

So who had the biggest/heaviest ruck sack?.. Stu or Davey.

There's only one way to find out.....

I packed a bit lighter than I sometimes do- no lock- whilst Davy ended up putting some of his many layers in the back. So probably even.

TimO

Guru
I thing they were both even carrying more than me, which has to be a unique event. I just had an Arkel Tail Rider on a Randonneur Rack, which forces me to carry somewhat less! (so only two spare tyres, a pump, three CO2 cartridges, tyres levers, a muilti-tool, leatherman, spoke key, spare cables, tyre boot, adhesive and patches,waterproof, lock, emergency spoke, spare nuts & bolts etc)

Unfortunatey not enough to solve Davy's mechanical, but the spoke was very bent, and the nipple partially pulled through the rim, which I couldn't see any way to repair, even with better tools and spares.

Davy's nipple pulled through his rim cannot be a sight to behold.
As you were deep in contemplation of a joyous ride, I was looking out over Londres, dunking my lips in a beer!
Well done (your arms look so white and pasty Martin - best cover them up in case you get mistaken for a 'Tooner' :smile: )

martint235

Dog on a bike
Davy's nipple pulled through his rim cannot be a sight to behold.
As you were deep in contemplation of a joyous ride, I was looking out over Londres, dunking my lips in a beer!
Well done (your arms look so white and pasty Martin - best cover them up in case you get mistaken for a 'Tooner' :smile: )

Yeah roll on summer!!!!

Top Bottom