Not a single flight over Scotland.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Just an observation. Pre CV19, this would never have happened at 8.15 on a Sunday morning.

View attachment 529828
so far today.jpg

19 so far today
(uniques over my patch)

Slick

Guru
I think it was last Sunday when out on a ride I noticed a BA jet in the air and it really looked out of place as it's been that long since I've seen one. I cycle through the airport plenty and it's weird as it's totally deserted and the jets are stacked from the East gate and down the bottom next to where they do their fire training. The jet I saw looked to be on a bit of a strange path which made me suspect it was getting a run out rather than a service flight. (Do they really need to do that) Whilst it's welcome that there is much less air traffic, I do feel for the 700 quality jobs being lost next door to us at Rolls Royce.

Very few vapour trails here as well, and in this part of Europe that's very unusual. In Stuttgart we can see the final approach to the airport from our apartment and it has been very quiet for a long time now.

Very pleasant it is too.

But the clear skies and clear air is great. Hopefully it'll remain that way. The airlines are bleating, but that's just another industry founded on pollution and massive environmental damage which was itself long overdue a Darsinian adjustment.

Indeed.

We see a moderate amount of military traffic here - I'm guessing were on a route they use. We also get Apaches popping up and I'm pretty sure they use cars for "target" practice as we drive along a local ridge between the two villages. That's actually fine by me, just so long ad they don't actually shoot!

Have you considered the possibility it may just be you?

Last edited:

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Not been a single plane in or out of Newcastle for all of April and May. They've started a flight to and from Amsterdam and Aberdeen the last week but only 10 or so passengers on each! [Presumably Bahrain and Barcelona next month, then Corfu and Crete...]

Road traffic almost back to 'normal' weekend levels on the trunk road through the village, I'd got used to not having to look!!

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Sure it’s nice not to have all that pollution but spare a thought for all those working, or not, in the airline industry who must be struggling right now.
When things get back to near normal I think there will be a reluctance to fly so the airlines will be offering incentives to get passengers back in the air.

Drago

Legendary Member
No vapour trails over Poshshire at the moment. @biggs682 & @Drago & I would see almost the same bit of sky.

I'm on the approach wobble for the small aircraft into Sywell Aerodrome and there's hardly been a Diddy plane overhead for ages!
My Dad keeps his plane at Lydd, and the airport has been closed for some months now. The CAA are doing licence and medical extentions for pilots who can't keep their hours up, get a proper medical for licence renewal, etc.

dodgy

We had a Cessna doing loops over our house earlier, it was towing a banner saying "Debbie will you marry me", looked it up online and apparently she said yes. Didn't half make a racket, apart from that, yes, air traffic is way down. I hope it stays that way, but have to accept it won't as people just want to get back to 'normal.

We had a Cessna doing loops over our house earlier, it was towing a banner saying "Debbie will you marry me", looked it up online and apparently she said yes. Didn't half make a racket, apart from that, yes, air traffic is way down. I hope it stays that way, but have to accept it won't as people just want to get back to 'normal.

Now that's social distancing in action.

D

Deleted member 26715

We're still getting traffic into RAF FInningley, Oops sorry Robin Hood airport (which strangely isn't in Nottinghamshire but they managed to grab some EU funding because of the historic links). I'm told they aren't passenger flights but commercial bringing in goods, but as far as I know there is no commercial services there, unless they have changed something to make it possible.

All uphill

Still rolling along
We see a moderate amount of military traffic here - I'm guessing were on a route they use. We also get Apaches popping up and I'm pretty sure they use cars for "target" practice as we drive along a local ridge between the two villages. That's actually fine by me, just so long ad they don't actually shoot! :laugh:

But the clear skies and clear air is great. Hopefully it'll remain that way. The airlines are bleating, but that's just another industry founded on pollution and massive environmental damage which was itself long overdue a Darwinian adjustment.
Don't worry about them shooting at you. You'd be fine in your Volvo.^_^

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
We're still getting traffic into RAF FInningley, Oops sorry Robin Hood airport (which strangely isn't in Nottinghamshire but they managed to grab some EU funding because of the historic links). I'm told they aren't passenger flights but commercial bringing in goods, but as far as I know there is no commercial services there, unless they have changed something to make it possible.

http://dsa.aero/cargo

No reason why they wouldn't handle cargo, there's even a DB depot just down the road.

Last edited:
Top Bottom