Not a single flight over Scotland.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Nothing north of the river over London. Some coming into Heathrow over South London though.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
No vapour trails this morning but a local gyrocopter flew over north west Mull this morning. It is based near Calgary and is often seen out in good weather.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
That's the government stealth jet spray mind altering chemicals over Sheffield. Drugging them into happiness is much cheaper than paying to smarten the place up.

They are lost then, spraying the dodgy folk from Stoke instead !

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Not been a single plane in or out of Newcastle for all of April and May. They've started a flight to and from Amsterdam and Aberdeen the last week but only 10 or so passengers on each! [Presumably Bahrain and Barcelona next month, then Corfu and Crete...]

Road traffic almost back to 'normal' weekend levels on the trunk road through the village, I'd got used to not having to look!!

I would guess that flights to Aberdeen and Amsterdam are (partly) to move personnel to service oil, gas, and wind farms. My son has just flown to Amsterdam (not from Newcastle), to join a support vessel, operating in North Sea. Also, judging from availability of Chinese products on EBay etc, freight is clearly moving.

I think/hope it will be very different if things ever return to "normal". There will surely be much less demand for air travel (and foreign travel in general), and the cost might well dictate that it might return to the 70's level when air travel was a rare and expensive event.
We watched a short film last night on Talking Pictures tv about London Airport early 60s, note London not Heathrow then. A much more civilised way to fly back then and that also went into the 70s and perhaps the 80s. By then it was getting more and more busy and of course along came the Easy Jet, Ryan Air and other cheap airlines which really did open up the skies to the masses. Of course Sir Freddy Laker tried to do the same earlier but was kicked into touch by the big boys. I must admit that I have no wish to fly now and not because of CV-19 but I would not want to stop others experiencing foreign shores. Travel broadens the mind they say, and I will agree with that. I do feel sorry for the people who have lost their jobs as a result of Covid-19.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I'm hoping CV has halted our headlong rush to self-destruction.

I'll swear the flagstones on my patio are getting cleaner. I wonder if reduced atmospheric pollution is doing that?

screenman

Legendary Member
We're still getting traffic into RAF FInningley, Oops sorry Robin Hood airport (which strangely isn't in Nottinghamshire but they managed to grab some EU funding because of the historic links). I'm told they aren't passenger flights but commercial bringing in goods, but as far as I know there is no commercial services there, unless they have changed something to make it possible.

My youngest is a fireman there, the coastguard flies out of there and maybe a couple more each day, they are in very reduced hours and taking turns at being furloughed.

Top Bottom