not all mudguards are equal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've got a CGR too (original model), & that has SKS guards (35mm), & I run Durano '28' section tyres

It seems to have a lot of spray/detritus bypassing the mudguards
Now... whether that's due to a repaired 'guard, after it fractured, I don't know? (as there's drilled holes & cable-ties)

It gets filthy, but there are a lot of road-works on part of my commute, at the moment (& a large housing estate being built)

View: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10219507183102495&set=a.10219481666304591&type=3&theater

It seems logical that most of that silt/muck on the rear 'guard is due to airflow
A certain amount of road silt/water exits via the overlap, & travels along the 'guard until it drips off, or the 'solid' content separates from the liquid?

Maybe, if I cleaned it all up, & used silicone sealer in the overlap (& drilled holes), it would solve a lot of the mess

First 'tie-wrapping'
(Sept '18)

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I've got a CGR too (original model), & that has SKS guards (35mm), & I run Durano '28' section tyres

It seems to have a lot of spray/detritus bypassing the mudguards
Now... whether that's due to a repaired 'guard, after it fractured, I don't know? (as there's drilled holes & cable-ties)

View attachment 503649

It gets filthy, but there are a lot of road-works on part of my commute, at the moment (& a large housing estate being built)

View: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10219507183102495&set=a.10219481666304591&type=3&theater

Those guards are way too far from the tyres, I'm not surprised there is a lot of overspray. I will try to take some pictures of mine when I get home.

Those guards are way too far from the tyres, I'm not surprised there is a lot of overspray. I will try to take some pictures of mine when I get home.
I know that, but due to the nature of the forks/frame, there's a lot of clearance for bigger tyres, so they won't really go an closer
(I've tried it with '37' CX mud-tyres, & those are still way off the guards)

faster

Über Member
I know that, but due to the nature of the forks/frame, there's a lot of clearance for bigger tyres, so they won't really go an closer
(I've tried it with '37' CX mud-tyres, & those are still way off the guards)

Guards can always go closer. In that pictures above, for example, you could insert some sort of spacer between the frame and the guard.

Guards can always go closer. In that pictures above, for example, you could insert some sort of spacer between the frame and the guard.
True, I guess

I believe I have, for example, a handful of the black (& yellow) 'screw-caps' from vehicle registration plates
Big enough hole for the bolts, but flat enough to be stable

I'll have to find them

betty swollocks

large member
i bought a ribble cgr sl last autumn and, as mudguards were offered as part of the build, added them. the bike’s been great, but for the fact that while the sks guards keep me clean, they do nothing to stop the bike getting filthy on the daily commute.

the boardman cx comp that i used prior had some very effective bontrager mudguards, which were very easy to fit and adjust. they also kept the bike a lot cleaner than the sks guards.

so today i’ve removed the sks guards from the ribble and replaced them with the bonties from the boardman. i guess i’ll see on monday if that solves the dirty bike problem…
Please please ensure those Bontragers have some breakaway clips.
My friend broke his neck and died last March when his front Bontrager mudguard folded up and stopped his wheel instantly. He went over the top and landed heavily.

OP
OP
alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Please please ensure those Bontragers have some breakaway clips.
My friend broke his neck and died last March when his front Bontrager mudguard folded up and stopped his wheel instantly. He went over the top and landed heavily.
thanks for the heads-up betty s. i remember you posting about that. :cry:

although the bike is exclusively used on-road i'll see if i can get the clips off the sks guards and apply them to the bonties.

Edit @betty swollocks i've just done it, thanks :okay:

Last edited:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
This was the set-up on my previous hybrid commuter running 35mm tyres.

1581436047178.png

Same gaurds have been swapped to the new dropbar commuter and due to room limitations, mainly at the fork crown I have had to downsize the tyres to 32mm. Both set-up ran close to the tyre in places (a uniform gap is very difficult to achieve as the radius of the guards doesn't seem to match the radius of the tyres) but don't/didn't rub.

Having looked at the pictures I just took this afternoon I may be tempted to revisit the fitting of 35mm tyres again. Possibly may be able to tease ot a bit more clearance with minor adjustments and perseverance..... Can't remember how tight the tyre was at the chainstays, maybe that was the limiting factor?

Attachments

• IMG_20200211_141945767.jpg
    IMG_20200211_141945767.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 2

Spiderweb

Not So Special One

View attachment 504115

Same gaurds have been swapped to the new dropbar commuter and due to room limitations, mainly at the fork crown I have had to downsize the tyres to 32mm. Both set-up ran close to the tyre in places (a uniform gap is very difficult to achieve as the radius of the guards doesn't seem to match the radius of the tyres) but don't/didn't rub.

View attachment 504111
View attachment 504108

View attachment 504107

View attachment 504105

View attachment 504106

Having looked at the pictures I just took this afternoon I may be tempted to revisit the fitting of 35mm tyres again. Possibly may be able to tease ot a bit more clearance with minor adjustments and perseverance..... Can't remember how tight the tyre was at the chainstays, maybe that was the limiting factor?
Is there a bike under all that dirt?!:eek:

View attachment 504115

View attachment 504111
View attachment 504108

View attachment 504107

View attachment 504105

View attachment 504106

Looking at your pictures I'm even more convinced that a bit of extra space between tyre and guard will make no difference to the amount of splash that reaches the bike. Once you're riding through water that flows over the road as opposed to just wet the road, they the splash will reach your bike. Side-winds, forward speed catching up with forward flung water and of course passing cars will leave you with a bike like yours. The guards do a good job of keeping your crotch and crack drier though.

I like to wax the frame on a warm dry day before winter sets in. You can spray wax furniture polish on your mudguards to help shed dirt. Need I say, don't wax your braking surfaces and pads.

Top Bottom