Not Feeling the Benefit of Clipless

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

getfit

Hi All,

Well I went clipless earlier this week and to date have done 3 rides avg. 20 miles each.

The route is quite hilly and so far I haven't noticed any improvement in the uphill phase. I have the pedal adjusted to the mid position, I do intend to increase this over time but notice quite a lot of float, not a problem as it makes the transition to clipless feel normal.

I chose SPD-SL pedals and have an Adidas shoe. Although the shoe is comfortable with regards to fit I am getting a dull ache in the arch area after an hours riding. Is this normal or should I consider a more supportive insole?

To date I have managed to avoid a clipless 'moment' but do find myself saying 'cleat, cleat' repeatedly as I approach junctions etc.

Have I been expecting too much with the move to clipless?

GF

colinr

I found clipless a lot better than clips, and clips a lot better than flats. Wouldn't go back now, I'm sure I'm faster but don't know if that's me getting fitter or the pedal setup. Definitely notice it uphill, if nothing else my calves get a rude awakening.

I get that dull ache too. A combination of cleat positioning, loosening the tension and wearing thicker socks seemed to help but it's still there a bit.

There is quite a learning curve before pulling the pedals upwards or backwards with your feet becomes natural, rather than just pushing downwards - but once you have it, the pedal can be used to transfer power throughout a much greater range than a normal pedal, making your ride far more efficient as it uses more of your leg muscles, less of the time.

As for your foot arch, can the cleats be moved any further forward on your shoes? Just a little tiny bit... I have plain SPD, rather than SPD-L, but this solved a similiar problem with me.

nigelnorris

I went clipless a couple of weeks ago and for the first few days was 'like, so what'. I thought I should be able to get some kind of 360 degree pedaling action going or something, which turned out to be ridiculous, too much too soon. But then one session I did notice that I could pull the pedal on the backstroke, so I abandoned pushing downwards and just did that for a few miles, and I've started doing a few miles of that every session now. Once those muscles got used to being used I found that I could combine using the downstroke and backstroke which does seems to offer more power. Next will be trying to use the upstroke.

To cut a long story short, I think expecting everything to happen at once is destined for failure. Little incremental steps are the way forward.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
to really notice it you have to have your saddle at the right height. your leg should be near straight on the down stroke. If it isn't you need to adjust your saddle height.

OP
OP
getfit

getfit

Cheers guys,

I will try nigels idea of introducing the up stroke over a few sessions.

Gaz the seat post is at it's heighest point but still not allowing me to get near full extension.

2Loose, you mention moving the cleats forward, I'll give this a go and report back.

GF

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
the cynic in me would also point out that it's quite possible to lead a long, and enjoyable, cycling life without clips or clipless. If you're trying to compete, or make a living, then clipless are necessary, beyond that I'm yet to be convinced.

What is true is that there's a whole industry that has risen around pedals, cleats and shoes. Also true is that people don't like to hear that they're not now, and never will be, good enough to warrant a professional pedal approach.

Arguements that they make cycling so much easier, and therefore more enjoyable, seem strange to me.

MacB said:
the cynic in me would also point out that it's quite possible to lead a long, and enjoyable, cycling life without clips or clipless. If you're trying to compete, or make a living, then clipless are necessary, beyond that I'm yet to be convinced.

What is true is that there's a whole industry that has risen around pedals, cleats and shoes. Also true is that people don't like to hear that they're not now, and never will be, good enough to warrant a professional pedal approach.

Arguements that they make cycling so much easier, and therefore more enjoyable, seem strange to me.

On that point I don't find clipless any great advantage 'for me' over clipped pedals. On my mtn bike I've just bought a combination clipped/platform pedal because there are times I don't want to be clipped in or don't want to take an extra pair of shoes away. Moving to clipless seems to have given me more issues than before and I still haven't abandoned the idea of ditching them and going back to clips.

A good stiff soled pair of cycling shoes on the other hand, is a very good thing to buy.

gavintc

Guru
getfit said:
Cheers guys,

Gaz the seat post is at it's heighest point but still not allowing me to get near full extension.

GF

Buy a new seat post. This will be your most successful upgrade you could make. If your legs are not working properly, no amount of clipless pedals, cycling 360 degree is going to help.

Hi GF, don't forget cleat position can be adjusted laterally a little too and more importantly there is angle to consider. If you naturally walk with your feet turned slightly outwards or inwards then try to match that with your cleat position on the shoe. I have about 6 months experience with clipless and made small adjustments for several weeks before being satisfied with a comfortable position. Good luck. ;)

OP
OP
getfit

getfit

gavintc said:
Buy a new seat post. This will be your most successful upgrade you could make. If your legs are not working properly, no amount of clipless pedals, cycling 360 degree is going to help.

I'm proberly not going to go down this route although it makes perfect sense I am currently riding a hybrid and looking to upgrade to a road bike early next year so not really wanting to spend money on this bike.

Macb,

I've a few problems with slipping of the pedal in the wet....I live in NI so wet riding is an almost everyday event!

GF

Randochap

Senior hunter
Make sure the bike is set up properly.

If your seat post is at it's limit, the bike is too small.

Usually, a cleat backward position will improve performance and ease stress on Achilles, assuming everything else is set up properly.

I've rarely ridden without some kind of attachment to pedals in 40 years, so can't understand the argument against. Tried without for short (2.5 km) commute last year, but found it scary. Kept pulling foot off pedal and slipping off in wet weather.

Top Bottom