Not Feeling the Benefit of Clipless

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigSteev

Origamist said:
It was to differentiate them from pedals that had toe-clips and straps...

Then wouldn't strapless been a better/more accurate name as they still have 'clips'?

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
unless I'm wildly mistaken muscles contain no memory and no ability to store data

they do - there's a difference between slow twitch and fast twitch and types of muscle fibres. If there was no memory or ability for the body to cahnge over time - why do you think training plans are worked out the way they are? it's to allow the body to force the muscle beyond it's current capabilities and tear it at times and the rest a cyclist then has allows for the body to repair and improve and modify.

gavintc

Guru
There are some people who clearly do not want to move outside their little comfort blanket bubble.

If you move from a clipless bike to a flat pedal bike; then you notice the difference. Moving to clipless takes time to get your legs used to the sensation, then your muscles and then your style. Take the benefit away and wow, it suddenly gets harder again. But, each to their own, but there does seem to be an awful lot of dyed in the wool attitudes in here.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
accountantpete;868802][quote=MacB;868787][quote=accountantpete said:
You have to train the muscle memory

I was not saying that they do Mac - this explains it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscle_memory

I know but, as proved by ttcyles post, the term muscle memory confuses many. Accepted I'm being pedantic but the memory is held in the brain and the training merely acclimatises/develops muscles for certain activities.[/quote]

BigSteev

I rode clipless for about 2 years while I was commuting approx 40 miles a day before changing to flats. The only real difference I noticed was that I was no longer forced to wear ugly shoes that were crap for walking in everytime I wanted to ride my bike.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
MacB are we talking semantics and language here?

Not necessarily - memory in itself if you were referring purely to cogntive function of a human being in its narrow defines then yes you are correct but muscle memory is defined in terms of the adaptability of the human body and any training a person has done previous is advantageous to them being able to do that same activity again- ie in that the body/muscles 'remembers' that process. It is muscular not cognitive memory I refer to here.

in regards to the original post - it's about technique and practising that - not something that will magically happen with clipless pedals just bolted on. give it time

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
gavintc said:
There are some people who clearly do not want to move outside their little comfort blanket bubble.

If you move from a clipless bike to a flat pedal bike; then you notice the difference. Moving to clipless takes time to get your legs used to the sensation, then your muscles and then your style. Take the benefit away and wow, it suddenly gets harder again. But, each to their own, but there does seem to be an awful lot of dyed in the wool attitudes in here.

Gavin, I totally accept the benefits for serious competition, for other types of riding I'm yet to be convinced. Seeking the right solution is not as clear cut as you 'modernists' believe. Yes you'll find reams of advice online saying clipless in vastly superior. But it's worth looking at where that comes from:-

serious competitive cyclists - well it would be important for them
converts to clipless - after spending all that dosh I can see some placebo effect happening
people in the trade - pedals, shoes and cleats, big margins and the more the takeup the better the returns

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I doesn't have to be all about cost MacB - you can kit out for less than £50 (less than the cost of a decent marino!!)

Admittedly you can spend as much as you want if that's your thing.

For me it just depends on the type of riding as to whether it's flats or SPDs.

tyred

Legendary Member
gavintc said:

You need to get used to clipless. If you have been used to clipless, you probably do need to get used to flats again. It's just different techniques.

If you could take a snapshot of every single person riding a bike in the world at this moment in time, I would like to bet the number on falt pedals outnumber those on clipless. Flat pedals are perfectly suitable for anyone who isn't racing, it cost less and leaves the option of wearing whatever footwear you want.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Ah MacB

you could easily argue the same about Carbon Fibre bikes -

I don't profess that clipless are a panacea. They're just an enabler which allows you to have better pedalling technique and use energy more efficiently.

Ultimately you can get a CF bike with a clipless system but if you're not fit and healthy, have good endurance and or have poor technique it's pointless as you won't get the most out of your machine no matter how good the componentry.

I agree that clipless is vital to competing though.

The main thing is Mac,that I can spin along quite happily on the flat at a decent lick whilst saving my muscles for either accelerating or getting up a hill. Or I can spin up a hill without losing momentum. The variety of pedalling styles that clip-ins allow is indispensible to my rides- but each to his/her own.

adscrim

Veteran
tyred said:
Flat pedals are perfectly suitable for anyone who isn't racing, it cost less and leaves the option of wearing whatever footwear you want.

Flat pedals are perfectly suitable for anyone on a bike. Wear cycling shoes with them and you'll be more efficient and faster. Use a full clipless system and you'll increase the gains further still. Like everything else, it's a matter of choice.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
tyred said:
If you could take a snapshot of every single person riding a bike in the world at this moment in time, I would like to bet the number on falt pedals outnumber those on clipless.

You're taking in China and India there - be a while before they're cycling in anything more fancy on the feet than sandals at best!

tyred

Legendary Member
threebikesmcginty said:
You're taking in China and India there - be a while before they're cycling in anything more fancy on the feet than sandals at best!

Exactly. And they probably cover more miles than most European cyclists and get along perfectly happily. The, when their country get richer, the marketing men will come along and sell them things they probably don't even need in the first place.

Top Bottom