Not Feeling the Benefit of Clipless

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
TT & AccPete - agreed each to their own, and I know I was being picky on the muscle memory bit. I just feel that the clipless debate isn't always represented fully

BigSteev

accountantpete said:
The main thing is Mac,that I can spin along quite happily on the flat at a decent lick whilst saving my muscles for either accelerating or getting up a hill. Or I can spin up a hill without losing momentum. The variety of pedalling styles that clip-ins allow is indispensible to my rides- but each to his/her own.

Sorry, I don't get this. Are you saying that this can't be done with flats or that flats somehow prevent you from pedalling in a particular manner?

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
It's alright

I know I was being picky on the muscle memory bit
-

I'll let you off MacB!

Yeah - people can spend a lot of money on bikes and set up without making the most of it (Me personally, I'm the worst climber - clipless won't help me with that!) or taking things fully into account ie what they want the bike for, where they're at with their own fitness etc and some people don't want to think (hurts too much) and only want to hear things that reinforce their ideas.

Ultimately - getting on a bike is all good - we're all individuals and have different styles, needs etc - so clipless works for some and not for others - worth trialing for a bit to get to grips with it though...gritting teeth with determination...

It took me about 3 years to decide to switch to clipless pedals, and I wouldn't want to switch back.

Immediately, I noticed about a 10% increase in my average speed on my regular routes without any apparent increase in effort/fatigue. However, for pootling up to the shops, I'm quite happy to have flat pedals, as it would be a bit pointless to be clipless for such a short journey.

BigSteev said:
Sorry, I don't get this. Are you saying that this can't be done with flats or that flats somehow prevent you from pedalling in a particular manner?

Yes. By turning the crank with your feet exactly the same as how you would turn a handle with your hand spreads the load on your muscles. You can't do this with flats and less efficiently with clips.

wafflycat

MacB said:
Gavin, I totally accept the benefits for serious competition, for other types of riding I'm yet to be convinced. Seeking the right solution is not as clear cut as you 'modernists' believe. Yes you'll find reams of advice online saying clipless in vastly superior. But it's worth looking at where that comes from:-

serious competitive cyclists - well it would be important for them
converts to clipless - after spending all that dosh I can see some placebo effect happening
people in the trade - pedals, shoes and cleats, big margins and the more the takeup the better the returns

I'm as far from a competitive cyclist as anyone could be. I do not go fast. I admire the scenery. Civilised cycling is a gentle pootle from Ye Olde Tea Shoppe to Ye Old Tea Shoppe. Yet I find a definite benefit to using clipless pedals.

Dosh... ah let's see... my pedals cost £10 the pair. One pair of Look road shoes (inc. cleats) were given to me as a freebie. The Look shoes that are my everyday cycling footwear cost me a fiver (inc. cleats). Ah yes, must justify that huge expense there then :tongue:

Randochap

Senior hunter
tyred said:
I always think this is an interesting article.

http://www.rivbike.com/article/clothing/the_shoes_ruse

I own a Rivendell bike (or did, until it was destroyed along with my right ankle, last month) but, IMO, much of Grant's peripheral bicycling philosophy just -- how shall I put it? -- doesn't correspond with my experience.

Note the disclaimer that the article is not written for "racers" or people who ride like racers. I'm not a racer, and I often rant here against the use of "racing" bikes for recreational or commuting use, because they are, in my view, inappropriate technology. Yet I can see the obvious benefits of clipless systems for recreational riding.

Sure, I can recommend flat pedals for nipping to the store, but any further afield -- especially in hilly terrain -- and you're better off with proper shoes and clipless ... unless you prefer not to.

Calling to "stop the madness" of clips & straps or clipless is ... well, madness itself. Quite over the top.

Randochap said:
I own a Rivendell bike (or did, until it was destroyed along with my right ankle, last month)

Did you post about that, I don't remember seeing anything, sounds a bit grim.

OP
OP
getfit

getfit

Interesting to see the strong views held on both sides of the wall. It is obvious I expected to much too soon, however, I will keep with the clipless pedals/shoes and take on board the 360 degree motion and see if I can get an improvement.

I am no racer and never will be but I do hope to increase my average speed by a combination of fitness, technique and technology (a road bike).

GF

Virtual DBP

<<I often rant here against the use of "racing" bikes for recreational or commuting use, because they are, in my view, inappropriate technology.>>

i hear that argument every time i jump on my fireblade (honda's 1000cc superbike) and drive it to work. forgetting the fact that it is actually quicker, someone said to me it's like having a racehorse doing pleasure walks on a beach.

the response is what would you rather sit on at the weekend... a donkey or a racehorse!

BigSteev

Randochap said:
Calling to "stop the madness" of clips & straps or clipless is ... well, madness itself. Quite over the top.

I don't think that that was anyone's intention. I believe that it was more a case of arguing that they're not essential and in some (in my view many) cases they're not the most practical solution overall. Most cycle journeys are relatively short (commutes, to the shops/pub etc), often involve a reasonable amount of walking at the destination, in urban areas will encounter frequent stops (assuming a lack of rljing) etc etc, and in these cases I'm not convinced that clipless pedals are the best solution. But I feel that there are a lot of voices out there that would still advocate their use for these journeys and lots of newer cyclists are only hearing these opinions and that is what I feel is the point that was trying to be highlighted.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
BigSteev said:
I don't think that that was anyone's intention. I believe that it was more a case of arguing that they're not essential and in some (in my view many) cases they're not the most practical solution overall. Most cycle journeys are relatively short (commutes, to the shops/pub etc), often involve a reasonable amount of walking at the destination, in urban areas will encounter frequent stops (assuming a lack of rljing) etc etc, and in these cases I'm not convinced that clipless pedals are the best solution. But I feel that there are a lot of voices out there that would still advocate their use for these journeys and lots of newer cyclists are only hearing these opinions and that is what I feel is the point that was trying to be highlighted.

and that is basically where I'm coming from.

I tried clipless, possibly not enough to satisfy the advocates, but enough to make me change back to flats. The experiment cost me £120 and I don't lightly spend that sort of money, so it was given a serious go. I did find hill climbing easier, but not earth shatteringly so. I fell off a bike, clipless moment, for the first time. I also knackered my right knee and was off riding for nearly 3 weeks. Accept that the injury will be due to cleat position. But most of all I hated the feeling of being clipped in, I also hated not being able to hop on my bike in any shoes.

As said already, if I was a different type of cyclist then I believe clipless would be a requirement. My priority, at present, is utility and so flats will do me fine. I do have some powergrips and quite fancy these but I go the standard size and they don't fit my clodhoppers. When I get round to it I'll try to trade them for the longer version.

Randochap

Senior hunter
Virtual DBP said:
the response is what would you rather sit on at the weekend... a donkey or a racehorse!

Thing is, I don't "sit on" anything; I am the engine that propels the machine, and there is little difference between a race bike and my commuters and "event" bikes as far as speed.

Still, on my commuting bike, I'm not looking to break records; I'm trying to transport myself and impedimenta in a practical manner.

A racing bicycle (comparing to motor vehicle is irrelevant) does not give one a practical machine, lacking mudguard and rack clearances and braze-ons. To use your metaphor though, there might be an animal between racehorse and donkey that's right for the job. We don't need to go to extremes.

And I'll agree that, for very short distances, flat pedals might be more practical for most people.

Top Bottom