Not Feeling the Benefit of Clipless

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigSteev

I meant the intention of posters on this forum rather than those from external articles.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Flying Dodo said:
It took me about 3 years to decide to switch to clipless pedals, and I wouldn't want to switch back.

Immediately, I noticed about a 10% increase in my average speed on my regular routes without any apparent increase in effort/fatigue. However, for pootling up to the shops, I'm quite happy to have flat pedals, as it would be a bit pointless to be clipless for such a short journey.

Thanks Adam, an actual estimate, I've read many threads, articles and debates re clipless, clips and flats. It's very rare that I ever see an ctual number put on the difference. This thread is a good example, 7 pages and only one post trying to give any data.

paddy01

First up... all speed to your recovery Randochap.

As for the pedal debate, there is no right nor wrong answer.

If your cycling benefits from clipless (as mine without doubt does) then go clipless.

If the nature of your cycling means its more suited or your feel a preference for clips or flats, more power to you.

Why anyone thinks only one of those 2 scenarios can be correct is beyond me.

alp1950

paddy01 said:
First up... all speed to your recovery Randochap.

As for the pedal debate, there is no right nor wrong answer.

If your cycling benefits from clipless (as mine without doubt does) then go clipless.

If the nature of your cycling means its more suited or your feel a preference for clips or flats, more power to you.

Why anyone thinks only one of those 2 scenarios can be correct is beyond me.

+1.

All I can say is I made the change last year & within a week or so loved it. Would never want to go back & when I do pedal even short distances with flats it feels so wrong.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Fingers crossed for your recovery rando

I rode my MTB with flats on it the other day. Hated every minute of it, couldn't get the same sort of power through the pedals. Another benefit of SPDs is that on occasions on certain trails/sections, I can get in an extra stroke to get over or past an obstacle by pulling up, where a rock or whatever would foul the pedal on a downstroke.

Each to their own though.

Shaun

Founder
To keep this thread on-topic, you can wish Rando well here.

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

MacB said:
Thanks Adam, an actual estimate, I've read many threads, articles and debates re clipless, clips and flats. It's very rare that I ever see an ctual number put on the difference. This thread is a good example, 7 pages and only one post trying to give any data.

:hyper:

I agree there is a lot of "you must do this or else you're not a proper cyclist" attitude. Before I tried clipless, I reckoned scientifically there must a definite benefit, but delayed for the entirely natural fear of falling off. It took a few months to feel 100% confident that I'd be able to unclip under every circumstance including someone stopping rapidly in front of me. I even managed to unclip when I had an accident 2 years ago, and hit a crash barrier at 25 mph!

On steep hills going up, and when really going fast, I do try and remember to pull on the upstroke to increase efficiency and speed, but probably at least 80-90% of the time I'd admit I'm unweighted on the upstroke, and so technically aren't benefitting from being clipless. However, I'll stick with them on my road bike for the times when I need to have that (small) benefit.

If I was commuting in London, I'd not bother with clipless, as the constant unclipping required due to lights/crossings/WVM cutting me up/pedestrians walking out in front of me would get on my nerves!

I'm happy that opinion on this forum appears to be evenly divided. If goes to show that here, at least, the matter can be sensibly debated. :eek:

I won't sermonise people 'go thou clipless' or 'go thou non-clipless'. That's not my job. SPDs are right for some people, wrong for others.

What really hacked me off, was being patronised almost to the point of personal abuse, in 'another place', by certain individuals (who shall of course be nameless, but whom I thought I counted as friends :wacko:). All because I had the temerity to put the case against SPD pedals and cleats on that forum. Being told that my cycling was 'dangerous' was not a useful contribution to the debate.

Ho hum. I shall continue to favour my flat pedals, toe clips and straps, until I end my days in a wooden box, or am otherwise incapacitated. End of story. I'm happy to listen to advice on other matters, but on this issue I require no advice. Good luck to everyone on this forum, whichever pedals they adopt!

beachcaster

Virtual DBP said:
<<I often rant here against the use of "racing" bikes for recreational or commuting use, because they are, in my view, inappropriate technology.>>

i hear that argument every time i jump on my fireblade (honda's 1000cc superbike) and drive it to work. forgetting the fact that it is actually quicker, someone said to me it's like having a racehorse doing pleasure walks on a beach.

the response is what would you rather sit on at the weekend... a donkey or a racehorse!

Personally I'd go for the donkey
with flat bmx pedals of course.

To be serious for a minute I suffer from claustrophobia...I hate the though of being trapped ....dont like lifts or travelling on the tube etc. These things really dont occur on a day to day basis...but when I tried clipless...I just felt trapped I hated it .

I have a cyclocross type bike and have large flat bmx type pedals and love them. my LBS was a bit shocked when he saw the combination
but was quite relaxed about it when I explained why.
I cycle for the pure pleasure of it and now clock up over 100 miles on a good week.......flat pedals and all !!!!!

Free your feet GO FLAT :becool:

barry

OP
OP
getfit

getfit

I was on a long ride yesterday and on the whole can't say I felt much difference with clip less however near the end of the ride when I was struggling I did notice a benefit when off the saddle and found it slightly easier uphill as I felt a real pull on the up stroke.

So far I have managed to avoid the 'moment' and while taking a slow corner the guy next to me fell so I slammed on the brakes coming to an almost instant stop. The foot came out before I had realised so hopefully the muscle memory is starting to kick in. Now I’ve jinxed myself I'll no-doubt have a 'moment' soon!

GF

It took me a good 18 months I'd say, to get the full benefit of clipless.

It's one of those things you don't really miss until you have had it for a while and you really miss it when it's gone.

Top Bottom