Not Feeling the Benefit of Clipless

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Couldn't agree more with that article:smile:

But lots of people are going to be VERY upset;)

Arch

Married to Night Train
Hilldodger said:
I don't, never have and never will use clipless pedals.

As far as I'm concerned they rank alongside oval chainwheels, 29" front wheels and puncture proof tyres.

Yes but Rog, you've barely adopted the safety bicycle...:biggrin:

I'm also in the camp that doesn't feel the need to go clipless - except on my recumbent trike, where it's more a case of keeping the feet on the pedals at all. If people want to, and it helps them, fine. But it's long way down my personal list of necessaries....

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
tyred said:
I always think this is an interesting article.

http://www.rivbike.com/article/clothing/the_shoes_ruse

Excellent :biggrin: - I do wear clipless on my race bikes but on the flat bar hack I use the flat side of A530's with normal shoes and no clips, it's easier when I'm out with the kids.

I like the last sentence in summing up.....

'But at some point the madness has to stop, and if you're looking for an excuse to head out on a ride in your Hush Puppies, now you have it.'

if i try to pedal on the upstroke, i'm sure i'd just give my legs cramp! i look at the upstroke as a brief rest for my legs.

wafflycat

I'm one of those poor deluded fools who changed to clipless and loves it. From day 1 of changing to clipless (Looks) my cycling changed for the better. Up to my mid-forties, when cycling I used either traditional platform pedals or platforms with toeclips. I could never quite get the hang of being in toeclips when they were *tight* on to the foot, and on anything over ten miles using platform pedals I'd have painful knees and shins. As soon as I switched to clipless, the knee & shin pain went away. It was a joy. It still is. I find going up hills much easier on my legs due to pulling on the upstroke as opposed to pushing down on the pedals all the time. Use traditional platform pedals again? Not out of choice.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
that guy doesn't half talk some crap?

He is trying to say at one point that stiff shoes are just as good as things like crocs. well thats total ball crap.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
gaz said:
that guy doesn't half talk some crap?

He is trying to say at one point that stiff shoes are just as good as things like crocs. well thats total ball crap.

I don't know I haven't tried enough types of footwear and pedals to be able to say.......have you?

BigSteev

I still don't understand why clipless pedals are even called that given that they clip you to the bike. Still they are stupid things and will have no place on any of my bikes. Flats and Vans FTW everytime.

You have to train the muscle memory and the muscles to get anything out of clip-ins -which can take a long time.

Watch the pro's on tour - none of them straighten their legs fully at the lowest point.

You have four main stages - pulling back,pulling up.pushing forward and then pushing down -practice each of these individually and then round up the session by combining all 4 in one smooth movement. Practice this on the small chainring and in a month or two you will start getting the hang of things.

It is most definitely worth the effort.

Origamist

Legendary Member
BigSteev said:
I still don't understand why clipless pedals are even called that given that they clip you to the bike. Still they are stupid things and will have no place on any of my bikes. Flats and Vans FTW everytime.

It was to differentiate them from pedals that had toe-clips and straps...

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
I read in a triathlon training book and I think if I remember correctly to get the most from clipless and the smooth full pedal rotation is described like this:

with the feet angled down, push down from 12 o clock, pull backwards as if you're trying to drive your ankle towards the back of the bike and around 6 o clock (I think) you pull up but the motion is like trying to push your knee towards the handlebars/drops. If there's bouncing on the saddle there's gearing/seatpost adjustments.

It's all about efficiency in the pedal but I have to admit if I am having a lazy commute I don't use the full rotation in a pedal movement.

Clipless aids the process and allows it to happen more fluidly but it's not without your legs acclimatising over time and doing the work so they're not suddenly going to round out your pedalling style that takes practice.

Top Bottom