'Not the marrying type'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Just before the law changed I heard an interview with one of the 1st people set to have a Civil Partnership.
Along with standard views about marriage and not being comfortable with it.
She also talk about other less common ones. They both felt uncombable saying vows in public even with very few present.
They had many times given in private a commitment to each other. Got the impression they are very private people.

The other one was an interesting one, They are both highly religious and firmly believe in equality and felt really uncombable.
With being allowed to have a formal wedding in church. Which is not an option for same sex couple's so to them it would be very anti equality.

So to them Civil Partnership was the best option it gave them legal standing as a couple but without any of the formal elements and be in conflict with how they feel about same sex rates.

It is interesting isn't it.

Before the ruling went through, I thought it was going to be one of those particularly niche issues, and that really only a very few folks would have strong favouritism towards civil partnership.

But even just on here, there seem to be lots of people, or people who know people, who have strong feelings on all this.

12boy

Guru
I was raised to be an Episcopalian and dad and grandad were devout. I am not a Christian of any flavor excepting culturally, in the sense I appreciate how much of my values and world outlook are based on Episcopalianism. Just as a person may not be a practicing Taoist or Shintoist, that way of seeing things may color their values and perceptions. For this reason, having a minister officiate our marriage was mainly a way to recognize and appreciate my ties to my family who went before me.

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Cant find the exact quote atm but HHGTTG..
Jesus was nailed to tree for telling people to be nice to each other

Thank goodness us 'Peas n lurve n goodwill to all human beans' sorts, have the anonymity of the Internet to hide behind nowadays :blush:

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I was raised to be an Episcopalian and dad and grandad were devout. I am not a Christian of any flavor excepting culturally, in the sense I appreciate how much of my values and world outlook are based on Episcopalianism. Just as a person may not be a practicing Taoist or Shintoist, that way of seeing things may color their values and perceptions. For this reason, having a minister officiate our marriage was mainly a way to recognize and appreciate my ties to my family who went before me.

Oh wow, I follow 'Episcopalian Church Memes' online. :rolleyes:

Not cos I'm religious.. Just cos its hilarious.

As God bothering gangs go they seem very broad church.

Although there seems to be this obsession with Christmas going on until 4th Jan or summat??

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I am my own boss and it`s staying that way. Can`t be doing with this "under the thumb" lark no matter what form it takes:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

It's good to know what you want (and don't want) in life.

Do you take particular precautionary measures to avoid being entrapped by these predatory women ??

There may be others on here who would value some tips on evasive action :rolleyes:

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Just a thought
Does anyone know if civil partnerships (done in this country) are legally recognised in all other countries?

I have a horrible feeling that we're all going to be very lazy, and wait for you to do that particular bit of research @Julia9054

My money is on it being internationally recognised though

Julia9054

Guru
I have a horrible feeling that we're all going to be very lazy, and wait for you to do that particular bit of research @Julia9054

My money is on it being internationally recognised though
Yeah - just googled it. It seems that in countries that do not have a concept of civil partnerships, they are unlikely to recognise a British civil partnership‘s legal status so the couple would be treated the same as an unmarried couple.

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Yeah - just googled it. It seems that in countries that do not have a concept of civil partnerships, they are unlikely to recognise a British civil partnership‘s legal status so the couple would be treated the same as an unmarried couple.

Thank goodness I didn't put down my usual 50p wager :blush:

tom73

Guru
@mudsticks yes very true they think the take up will high look's like it they will be more common than you think.

@12boy Funny you say that when me and Mrs 73 planned ours. We had some thinking to do I'm not religious at all in fact i'm quite anti much of it. Fully paid up Humanist and strongly believe in Secularism. So had issue with church wedding plus I oolong have a big family and I'd also not long last my dad. So a big church wedding would have just applied things for me. Mrs 73 however is religious and has a big family so a church wedding meant a lot to her.

So we had some thinking to do the solution came from her then ward manger of all people who also was religious. She told Mrs 73 to remember god is everywhere so your still getting married in his presence. So we ended up with a small close family only civil marriage. Mrs 73 was still able to get dressed up and all the other things and we even had her dad able to give her away. Which Mrs 73 felt she wanted to have.

So my advice is have a wedding you really want and stuff everyone else they soon get over it. If not it's there problem not yours

Landsurfer

Veteran
One is marriage ... the other is a legal arrangement.
There are many marriage types .. and many legal arrangements.
One is religious .. one is secular.
One is based on thousands of years of tradition ... the other makes it up as it goes along.
One is between a man and a woman ... one is between objects defined by Law.

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
One is marriage ... the other is a legal arrangement.
There are many marriage types .. and many legal arrangements.
One is religious .. one is secular.
One is based on thousands of years of tradition ... the other makes it up as it goes along.
One is between a man and a woman ... one is between objects defined by Law.

And you can have marriage between same sex persons too.

What are the 'objects defined by law' though?

Not inanimate objects surely?

@Julia9054 ?? :wacko:

Landsurfer

Veteran
Not true. You can have secular marriage
The rules of the marriage thing are published in a book .... like the rules of hockey are published in a book .... if you don't agree with the hockey rules then your not playing hockey ... if you don't agree with the marriage rules then your not married .... .. your certainly something, something amazing and worthwhile, but not married. You may decide to play Rugby football with a Soccer ball, but it's not Rugby .

Top Bottom