Not to be repeated.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I did a 30 miles ride yesterday and got caught in a shower which means I had to clean my bike when i got home. I realised then that I had gone out without a spare tube or repair kit and to top it all, when I tried to undo the rear wheel skewer, I couldn't do it as I have weak thumbs and it was too tight.
If I had had a puncture, I would have been in trouble then. Lesson learned.

DRM

Guru
I did a 30 miles ride yesterday and got caught in a shower which means I had to clean my bike when i got home. I realised then that I had gone out without a spare tube or repair kit and to top it all, when I tried to undo the rear wheel skewer, I couldn't do it as I have weak thumbs and it was too tight.

That was a lucky escape, last time I got caught in a downpour the p fairy paid a visit, luckily the bits & bobs/tools to repair the tube were in a saddle bag on the bike, just had to think to myself I'm already wet through, can't get any wetter

CharleyFarley

Been caught in rain a few times, without any rain gear. Someone recommended cheap ponchos from Home Depot hardware store. So I bought a couple and strapped one of them to the rear carrier. About ten miles from home the sky suddenly turned black and the wind started to really blow hard. The only shelter was under gas pumps canopy. Trying to open that poncho in the wind was murder but I eventually managed to put it on. As I continued my ride, I became aware my back was cold and wet. The wind shredded that poncho wide open. Florida is known for sudden storms.

I never carry a spare tube but I do carry a patch kit. I hope I never get a flat on the fat bike far from home. I had to do a tube repair at home, a few days ago, and used a good quality 'Joe Blow' floor pump. Even that was hard work to put 15lb of pressure in the tire. I'd hate to have to do it with the small pump I carry, even though it's made for fat bike tires.

mustang1

Guru

Sometimes those skewers are rather tight and although i can open them with my thumbs, i often elect to use tyre levers as, uhm, leverage. That might work for you too?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Sometimes those skewers are rather tight and although i can open them with my thumbs, i often elect to use tyre levers as, uhm, leverage. That might work for you too?

Adjust the QRs so they are NOT overtight - they don't need to be!

Use fingers instead?

The other thing you could do is to make sure that the QR levers are not tucked neatly against the frame/fork - that way you can get at them more easily and wrap 2 or 3 fingers round them, or even use your foot.

Roseland triker

Cheese ..... It's all about the cheese
Just carry a lump hammer and chisel for the wheels

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Back in the day (when I thought QRs had to be so tight, that they could withstand a nuclear blast) I used to carry an 12cm length of 22mm copper pipe, ideal for slipping over the QR for leverage.

C R

Guru
Go on, live dangerously 😀

Are you suggesting that the OP should leave their QRs somewhat loose? ;)

Shortandcrisp

Über Member
In the period between leaving school and going to college in the summer of 1976, me and a friend took a 4 week break to cycle around most of England, staying overnight in youth hostels; looking back, I can’t recall that either of us had a puncture repair kit or spare tubes! 😀

T4tomo

Legendary Member
In the period between leaving school and going to college in the summer of 1976, me and a friend took a 4 week break to cycle around most of England, staying overnight in youth hostels; looking back, I can’t recall that either of us had a puncture repair kit or spare tubes! 😀

Tyres were much tougher and thicker in those days.

Modern lightweight tyres have made the puncture more prevalent.

Roseland triker

Cheese ..... It's all about the cheese
Tyres were much tougher and thicker in those days.

Modern lightweight tyres have made the puncture more prevalent.
Yep
I did a full loop of southern England and the isle of white on worn out tyres. I was about 12 or there abouts.
They were down to the inner layers by the time I got back and only had one puncture because I locked up the rear end and burned a hole.
Panniers and a full rucksack too.
Tyres definitely are constructed now to save weight and feed the consumption of.

Top Bottom