Now That is Steep.......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4622867, member: 259"]They should have done it like Lombard Street in San Francisco.

lombard-st.jpg
[/QUOTE]

There's one a bit closer to home (only half an hour ferry trip for me), in Rothesay, Isle of Bute. I can vouch for the fact that it is steeper than it looks in the photo! Strava segment.

46697125.25thJuly25.jpg

The+Serpentine,+Rothesay.jpg

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I don't think anyone has even attempted it on either of the Llandudno ride editions.

There's always 2017 though......
I was going to call them all wimps until I noticed your stipulation of restricted gears for the climb!

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
If you fancy a challenge a little closer to home, reputedly the steepest residential street in Europe is in Bristol.

http://placeandsee.com/s?as=foto&fp=11642333

I used to live close by and boy, some places in Totterdown are pretty steep!.

Theres one not far from me called, imaginatively, 'steep hill'. Not really residential though.
I've read a book by a guy who cycled around the UK coast, and although the Highland bits were big, he reckoned the South-West hills were worse asit was like trying to ride a woodsaw blade profile.

Sbudge

Cyclist
Theres one not far from me called, imaginatively, 'steep hill'. Not really residential though.
I've read a book by a guy who cycled around the UK coast, and although the Highland bits were big, he reckoned the South-West hills were worse asit was like trying to ride a woodsaw blade profile.

In Tenerife this Christmas we came across (in the car I might add) a residential street that was >35%. We struggled to get up it in first gear, I've never seen anything quite like it, even the thought of trying to ride it was scary...and I do 20-25% hills pretty regularly.

ColinJ

It is pretty steep for a bridge but the gradient is exaggerated by the camera there. The bridge's gradient is 5.1% on one side and 6.1% on the other, not the 30+% monster it is made to look by siting the camera a long way off and using a zoom lens! :okay:

I will post a photo at a later date to show you how the eye/camera can lie. In my early days of cycling round here I saw something that I couldn't quite believe. I will go out when it isn't so cold and take a picture for y'all ...

Last edited:

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Dunno about residential but donkey road in whitby is bastard steep. Think the first section must be nearly 45% and its cobbled too.

Guy did it a couple of years ago on a fat bike..... Rather him than me...

ColinJ

I lived in Hebden Bridge for nearly 30 years. There are some very steep hills round there.

I cycled up Moss Lane a few times. The bottom half shown in the picture below is steep, but it gets steeper, and then steeper still round the bend at the top. There is about 30 metres of incredibly steep path beyond that which I wanted to have a go at but my legs and/or lungs and/or heart have always said NO at the end of the actual road

Moss Ln Hebden Bridge.jpg

I never got round to even trying Highfield Crescent. It is a short cul-de-sac which goes straight up a steep hillside. I think it would be doable but it looked hard enough to put me off. Maybe I will ride over in the summer and have a go ... :whistle:

Highfield Crescent Hebden Bridge.jpg

Top Bottom