NYE....grrrrrrrrrr

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

young Ed

Veteran
Just relax fella and go to bed! :thumbsup:
f'it i think that's what i'm going to do

as for fireworks, stuff them. people seem to let the buggers off at any possible chance they have these days :sad: luckily our dog is fine with them and couldn't care less to be frank.
when i get my own dogs in a few years time they will no doubt be used to shotguns so they hopefully won't be bothered either
Cheers Ed

Lullabelle

Banana
We will be sat in front of the telly with a bottle of fizz to see in the New Year, never been to a party and have no desire to.

Brandane

Legendary Member
When I was much younger I loved New Year; out on the bevvy from about dinner time on NYE, through midnight and on to the early hours of the next day. I lived on an island, and it was a big deal going round each others houses with the traditional whisky bottle in the pocket.

I remember one New Years day, making my way home about 8am after an all night session. Passing a local pub I heard activity inside and knocked on the window. Someone opened the door and I joined the "lock in". The place was mobbed!

Absolutely great times that I wouldn't change for the world. However life moves on, and things change. I am not able to drink to anything like the extent I once did. I leave NYE to the younger generation now, but they don't seem to celebrate to the extent we did. Me, I will probably be in bed, sober, shortly after midnight.

I still miss wandering about the Isle of Bute in mid January, seeing the old boys who hadn't seen each other since the start of the year. It was hilarious when they would wish each other happy new year; then the whisky bottle would appear from someone's coat pocket....

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I shall treat this evening the same as any other, which usually amounts to nodding off in front of the television.

Happily, the likes of Sky + and similar gadgets make a New Year's Eve free New Year's Eve easy to achieve.

I will have a squint at Jools, although he's on a bit late for me.

Mrs M

Guru
Went to Stonehaven this afternoon to buy a new bed, need a king size as double no use for us two and the cat.
Human League are playing there tonight, tickets at £37.50 each.
Doing a sound check when we were there, hoping they sound better tonight :whistle:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Some miserable beggars on here.

We are off to friends after another friend had to cancel due to their lad being poorly. We've been offered a bed for the night at our friends neighbour (he's more like grandad to the kids and is always at their parties).

We've all split the food prep, car is loaded and we will be off soon.

PS Wiggo is on Graham Norton tonight, should be interesting.

Hogmanay, as it is properly called, a great event, far more so than Christmas in my book. If I can keep awake I'll take a hip flask on a walk up the hill for a view of the Princes Street fireworks.

Diggs

Veteran
+1 for Jools and the sofa, there's wine in the fridge and the lovely Mrs D came back from the shops witth these local delights..
bb.jpg

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Despite suffering from terminal man flu - I don't expect to see New Yea's Day, I'd like white lilies at my funeral; I am happy with my lot and like to think that if I survive into 2015 that the world will be populated with fewer misery guts.

Misery is designed to be suffered and not shared. :thumbsup:

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Agree with @Brandane that it's changed a lot over the years. I grew up in a small village and it was tradition to do a round of the doors carrying a few bottles. Used to see some staggering around by next morning and I am sure they probably kept going for a few hours after that!

It's become a lot more organised now. Parties by invite if in homes, or open street parties. I think people eventually got fed up of visitors that had had far too much to drink causing arguments, spilling drinks,etc in their homes.

Looks a decent night here tonight with quite a good band playing, plus a piper to bring in the New Year and stovies. Unfortunately, I am full of the lurgy and will be heading to bed instead.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Despite suffering from terminal man flu - I don't expect to see New Yea's Day, I'd like white lilies at my funeral; I am happy with my lot and like to think that if I survive into 2015 that the world will be populated with fewer misery guts.

Misery is designed to be suffered and not shared. :thumbsup:
I'll toast your passing or your recovery, whichever it happens to be, with a large Appletons (which I'm sure will meet with your approval).
Just as soon as I can ditch the car......
:cheers:

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
Not a big fan of it either. The chimes on Radio 4 shall find me in the closest location I can find to the middle of nowhere in quiet contemplation. As far as possible from people and their fireworks.

Every year I write to the paper asking for a photo spread of the results of lots of alcohol and explosives. They haven't taken the idea as a runner yet but, you never know.

arch684

Veteran
A friend of mine has a big party every year.he will dress up in his kilt and sing auld lang syne and play a lot of scottish music.he is english and lives in birmingham

Brandane

Legendary Member
Agree with @Brandane that it's changed a lot over the years. I grew up in a small village and it was tradition to do a round of the doors carrying a few bottles. Used to see some staggering around by next morning and I am sure they probably kept going for a few hours after that!

It's become a lot more organised now. Parties by invite if in homes, or open street parties. I think people eventually got fed up of visitors that had had far too much to drink causing arguments, spilling drinks,etc in their homes.

Looks a decent night here tonight with quite a good band playing, plus a piper to bring in the New Year and stovies. Unfortunately, I am full of the lurgy and will be heading to bed instead.
Something which changed for the worse IMO was when the pubs started to close about 10pm on Hogmanay. It means everybody has to bail out and head to someone's house to bring in the New Year. 'Twas far better when everyone just stayed in the pub and had good craic with complete strangers into the wee small hours :smile:.

Top Bottom