FNRttC October 6, 2017 - London to Brighton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hatler

Guru
Bugger. Mini-hatler has a highly remunerative baby-sitting event on the Friday evening to which he had already committed.

Last edited:

hatler

Guru
But, on the plus side, I might have persuaded one or two of my new colleagues to join us.

Thanks for the tip. I'd booked an advance ticket back but when I did so there was no mention of the bus replacement service. I've now booked on to the one via Littlehampton (for all of £5!) at 10.00. Let's hope we get to Brighton a bit quicker than we did to Bognor!

It should be quicker as I'll make sure there aren't any impromptu photography lessons taking place!

For anyone concerned about trains, as stated above, there's always space to put a bike somewhere on Southern trains. There are 2 every hour going via Littlehampton and Horsham up to London Victoria. For anyone wanting to get to St Pancras (and onwards to other stations like Kings Cross or Euston), if you hop off at Three Bridges, you can then get on a Thameslink train which starts there, meaning you'll have an empty (and brand new) train to stretch out on, and so won't be crowded out by the hordes who get on at Gatwick.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Dears, am out :-(

I leave for Turkey Sunday midday and then onto Germany midweek getting into Heathrow mid afternoon Friday. This doesn't leave time to get to Deal to get the bike then train to London. I could put some kit and the Brommie in the car and leave it in Morden at the MIL's, but then have to get home safely (means sleeping Saturday). Additionally it's gonna be a hard week anyhow, I shall be knackered, and it'll mean 2 weekends trashed with @Hill Wimp too.
It's a bummer - but it's what pays the bills.

I have to say however that this year I've probably done more FNRttC than any year before so can't complain. I've also managed to extend the Sarfend, Whitstable and Bognor rides back home to Deal too, greatly increasing my mileage PB from 150 (many many moons ago) to 220 fulfilling my appetite for 'mini-adventures' in the process.

I shall miss getting hammered at Wetherspoons in Brighton with old friends...there will be other occasions.
See you all for Christmas :-)
Cheers :cheers:
FF

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
At this point, I would normally start looking for solutions. I reckon you need the weekend at home more though.
I looked at a few other options (even cycling from Ashford to Brighton for the brekkie beer-fest) and they are just too compromised. Like Santa's elves, it's our busiest time of the year work-wise and will be full-on until Christmas at least, so the weekend as recovery periods and domestic time gain extra value as I'll be away much more often.
C'est la vie!

Top Bottom