October CC Central Scotland Forum Ride?

Which route?

• Dunfermline route only 28 miles but could easily add a few

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Perth - Dundee - Perth via Fife and Tay Br - 50 miles

• The Glasgow - Kilmacolm route

• Edinburgh - Gifford - Edinburgh (~ 70Km or 43k options)

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
satans budgie said:
Great idea, lets have it in the Edinburgh area. :laugh:

<edit>Sorry just making mischief, TV is crap and I doubt if I could make it anyway. My princess (daughter) is due to have a baby very soon and for the sake of domestic harmony I have agreed to say within 2 hours of home. If there is one in Nov I will make every effort to join you. Have a great run out. </edit>

:biggrin: Let's have it in the Fife area, we could do a loop round your house, well within an hour's cycling distance of it :rolleyes:

OP
OP
HJ

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Well the people who do use the Doodle are all available on the 7th November and the poll suggest a willingness to ride around the Tay, may be we should go for that...

Or if someone would like to organise a ride in the west, we could do that...

ACS

Legendary Member
Telemark said:
:laugh: Let's have in the Fife area, we could do a loop round your house, well within an hour's cycling distance of it :rolleyes:

We had one last weekend called the Fife Flurry. :biggrin:

I think I'm a bit too far away from the central belt to make one up here in the wilderness of Fife variable. One day perhaps, but if there was a demand....................

7th - Tay route no I am up for that.

MrRidley

HJ said:
Well the people who do use the Doodle are all available on the 7th November and the poll suggest a willingness to ride around the Tay, may be we should go for that...

Or if someone would like to organise a ride in the west, we could do that...

Tay is just a bit too far, Stirling area would be better. you dont want to come out west, not very nice people.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
satans budgie said:
Great idea, lets have it in the Edinburgh area. :biggrin:
We try to move the rides around, to make them accessible to all who wish to come BUT ....

.... SOMEONE has to take responsibility to organise a suitable route, arrange a date convenient to most folk, consider a cafe/pub stop etc etc. The starting point needs to be near a rail link, so those without car transport can still come and ride.

Thus far, most of the rides have been around the Lothians, Perthshire, Stirling/Trossachs (Central Scotland :ohmy: ) areas because they have met the criteria above - and that is where people have turned up. They are also the areas where someone has been prepared to take on the organisation and knows suitable routes. As yet, we have not started much further west than Dunblane nor further north than Perth (= Central Scotland :laugh:).

Unfortunately, not everyone can make all/some/any of these rides. That, unfortunately, is a fact of life. Some people work on call, others have vehicle access issues, others live a bit far from where the rides are taking place, many have to juggle family commitments, some [whisper] maybe just can't be bothered :ohmy: [end whisper].

If anyone wants a ride on their home patch and it meets the criteria, go ahead and arrange it, put it up for selection and let's go and ride somewhere different :biggrin:. Sounds good to me :biggrin:

I hope you are not becoming cynical, SB :biggrin: and, after all, you do live in Fife - and we all know that's a scary place :rolleyes: !

** while this was being prepared, about 4 people have posted on a similar theme :blush:

MrRidley

Next sat, Embra or stirling, i'll leave the route planning to those who know best, maps and me dont get along :biggrin:

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Anyway ....

Today's ride was just excellent :biggrin:.

Very pleasant route - not too challenging, nor too long (it gets dark early :sad: ), lovely scenery, great cafe for the cake stop, good company - and the sun shone all day :eek: !

Add to that the quiet roads, the home baking (scones, lots of CAKE) and it is easy to wonder why everyone was not out with us. A 10/10 day :thumbsup:

Grateful thanks to HJ and Telemark for arranging such a good day's ride and to all who came for the company ... and to those who didn't come for cake - HJ will be very grateful for a push up any hills on the next ride, as he has to finish it all off :biggrin:.

ACS

Legendary Member
scoosh said:
We try to move the rides around, to make them accessible to all who wish to come BUT ....

.... SOMEONE has to take responsibility to organise a suitable route, arrange a date convenient to most folk, consider a cafe/pub stop etc etc. The starting point needs to be near a rail link, so those without car transport can still come and ride.

Thus far, most of the rides have been around the Lothians, Perthshire, Stirling/Trossachs (Central Scotland :sad: ) areas because they have met the criteria above - and that is where people have turned up. They are also the areas where someone has been prepared to take on the organisation and knows suitable routes. As yet, we have not started much further west than Dunblane nor further north than Perth (= Central Scotland :eek:).

Unfortunately, not everyone can make all/some/any of these rides. That, unfortunately, is a fact of life. Some people work on call, others have vehicle access issues, others live a bit far from where the rides are taking place, many have to juggle family commitments, some [whisper] maybe just can't be bothered :ohmy: [end whisper].

If anyone wants a ride on their home patch and it meets the criteria, go ahead and arrange it, put it up for selection and let's go and ride somewhere different :thumbsup:. Sounds good to me :biggrin:

I hope you are not becoming cynical, SB :biggrin: and, after all, you do live in Fife - and we all know that's a scary place :biggrin: !

** while this was being prepared, about 4 people have posted on a similar theme :biggrin:

Cynical, moi. No as a I said in the <edit> I was just making mischief given the mention of cake, trains and sunshine I just could not contain the devil in me.

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
:thumbsup: It looks like there is enough interest for next weekend, Bhoyjim has suggested Saturday 24th ... Saturdays normally have more frequent trains than Sundays, even WITH engineering works.

Just had a look at future engineering works, looks like our main lines (Ed/Gla/Stirling) are all back to normal on the 24th, but Fife will be cut off from Edinburgh at least :eek: (replacement buses Haymarket/Dalgety Bay) and there are also buses between Perth/Kirkcaldy.

For agreeing the route: How about a few people posting suggestions (distance + difficulty, with maps if possible), and when we have 3 or thereabouts, somebody sets up a quick poll?

Personally I'd prefer if it wasn't too long a ride, we were very lucky with the weather today, which made it very easy. The same ride in a gale/downpour would have been much harder, for me at least :biggrin:...

T

Top Bottom