Odd cycling habits/rituals?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
When out on my own i do tend to speak to myself a lot and on occasion have had an argument with me. I hate it when you speak to fellow cyclists and they ignore you, so i give them a loud BBBBBBBBAAAAAAAA . I put on a posh voice and wish any walkers i meet a " jolly good morning to you sir / madam. Come to think of it this all may be the reason i'm cycling on my own a lot and being ignored by most folk i meet.:laugh:

I mentioned this in the left or right thread I think, but I have that as well. Bicycle or motorbike, I can only coordinate getting on from the left hand side. The second I try and mount it from the right hand side my brain goes in to some overthinking meltdown and I forget how all of my joints work. From that point on all bets are off, I'll either end up clumsily draped across the bike with a befuddled look on my face as to how it happened, or sprawled in a heap of limbs and frame on the floor begging for mercy. Knowing this, I will do anything I can to mount on the left side, although for some reason once in a blue moon I complete forget this and try to get on from the wrong side, realising my mistake at some point after my left leg has raised beyond 45 degrees, if I'm sensible at that point I'll give up and start again from the 'correct' side.

Thinking on this, what is particularly confusing about it is that I am pretty much ambidextrous and almost anything else that I do I can do adequately with my off hand (I'm also left eye dominant so while nominally right handed a lot of two handed things, shooting, pool, etc. I do left handed). I can only presume that it's so hard coded in to muscle memory to get on from the left that when I try from the right it's like I'm inventing the option for the very first time.

Iam exactly the same ,i cant get on the bike from the right hand side no matter how i try , same if im pushing it i have the bike on my right side :wacko:

Hilton116

Does anyone have any cycling rituals or habits whilst out riding?

I quietly apologise to dead animals on behalf of whoever/whatever caused them to shuffle off their mortal coil as I cycle along - I realise that makes me sound like a bit of a mumbling crazy :wacko:, but there you go.
See how long I can hold my breath whilst ascending Mont Ventoux

Top Bottom