Odd cycling habits/rituals?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MattE72

For some reason I do maths problems in my head climbing up hills to take my mind off the climb :unsure:

Also: Generally my mouth is hanging open like a slathering dog, if a car, pedestrian or fellow cyclist comes towards me I shut it, breathe through my nose and generally give off an air of nonchalance in the hope I convey "Yeah, that's right I'm not tired. I'm as fit as a flea." This is usually ruined by the trails of snot/saliva flapping from my nose/lips. :sweat:

Tim Hall

For some reason I do maths problems in my head climbing up hills to take my mind off the climb :unsure:
When I went up Mont Ventoux, some years ago, my computer was in the BRITON's miles, whilst the Dastardly French insisted on using kilometres on their, umm, kilometre stones. I got good at my 5/8 times table.

MattE72

When I went up Mont Ventoux, some years ago, my computer was in the BRITON's miles, whilst the Dastardly French insisted on using kilometres on their, umm, kilometre stones. I got good at my 5/8 times table.
I've been doing that as well because I've got my Garmin set to Km but I obviously think in miles!

swansonj

Guru
The availability of both miles and kilometres has many advantages.

Last year in France I'd already exceeded my previous most-climbing-in-a-day but still had one more pass to cross to get home. Owing to foolish miscalculation I was out of food and water and was basically spent. So you start setting yourself targets for how far to go before having your next rest. To start off with it was one mile then a rest. Then, when I was no longer able to do that, it was one kilometre then a rest. Then half a mile and a rest. Then half a kilometre... Then fortunately I'd reached the top of the pass and could freewheel home.

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.

Also: Generally my mouth is hanging open like a slathering dog, if a car, pedestrian or fellow cyclist comes towards me I shut it, breathe through my nose and generally give off an air of nonchalance in the hope I convey "Yeah, that's right I'm not tired. I'm as fit as a flea." This is usually ruined by the trails of snot/saliva flapping from my nose/lips. :sweat:

I think I've ridden behind you a few times! :whistle:

FeistySquirrel

Professional Jelly Baby Decapitator
I (can't) sing. Then promptly increase my speed when I realize there's a cyclist behind me who can hear. :dry:

Torvi

mr poopmechanic
dunno how odd is this but i simply refuse to ride on inner cog, uphills or not i just force myself to beat them on outer cog that results in getting tired much faster but whatever you would say to me i would still refuse to shift down.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
dunno how odd is this but i simply refuse to ride on inner cog, uphills or not i just force myself to beat them on outer cog that results in getting tired much faster but whatever you would say to me i would still refuse to shift down.

Have you not considered saving yourself all that pointless weight of the unused inner cog? Sounds like a 1 by 10 would suit you fine :-)

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
It's probably not that weird, but I can only get on my bike on from the left by swinging my right leg over seat and climbing on. No matter how many times I try from the right hand side I just can't do it! :scratch:

I mentioned this in the left or right thread I think, but I have that as well. Bicycle or motorbike, I can only coordinate getting on from the left hand side. The second I try and mount it from the right hand side my brain goes in to some overthinking meltdown and I forget how all of my joints work. From that point on all bets are off, I'll either end up clumsily draped across the bike with a befuddled look on my face as to how it happened, or sprawled in a heap of limbs and frame on the floor begging for mercy. Knowing this, I will do anything I can to mount on the left side, although for some reason once in a blue moon I complete forget this and try to get on from the wrong side, realising my mistake at some point after my left leg has raised beyond 45 degrees, if I'm sensible at that point I'll give up and start again from the 'correct' side.

Thinking on this, what is particularly confusing about it is that I am pretty much ambidextrous and almost anything else that I do I can do adequately with my off hand (I'm also left eye dominant so while nominally right handed a lot of two handed things, shooting, pool, etc. I do left handed). I can only presume that it's so hard coded in to muscle memory to get on from the left that when I try from the right it's like I'm inventing the option for the very first time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom