Odd things that have happened to you

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Jeffrey Archer came to open my school's refurbished library in 1992 and the Mayor of Sandwell came over and shook my hand, saying my brother told him I wanted to meet him. He must have thought our borough's first citizen was the jailbird-to-be but I had no particular inclination to meet either.

Just a thought but are you sure the Lord Archer concerned was Jeffrey and not Peter?

Lord (Peter) Archer of Sandwell was a former MP for the area and Solicitor General in the Callaghan Govt. He died last year.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I won a yellow jersey today!!!!:hyper:

OK, it was in a tombola, and it doesn't fit, but it's a maillot jaune and I won it, so according to Rule 16 I can wear it!
Once I've lost about 7 stone...

Black Country Ste

Just a thought but are you sure the Lord Archer concerned was Jeffrey and not Peter?

Lord (Peter) Archer of Sandwell was a former MP for the area and Solicitor General in the Callaghan Govt. He died last year.
I was certain it was Jeffrey but you've added an element of doubt now.:tongue:

He was the MP for Warley West whereas my school and where I grew up was in Warley East; the actor Andrew Faulds (Jason and the Argonauts; Lisztomania) was our MP from 1964 until 1997. So Faulds would have met Malcolm X who visited Smethwick a week before he died. Fascinating and I'm in danger of falling into a wikitrap.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Around ten years ago I met a chap riding a Thorn Raven towing a Bob Yak trailer along the Avon Gorge while I was doing my LEJOG. He was a fellow North Easterner and we hit it off immediately. We rode together for the rest of the day and camped at Monmouth. George was a stronger and fitter cyclist than me and he was heading home to Preston from Bridgewater from where he'd picked up the bike and trailer.

He set off ahead of me the next day but not before giving me his phone number and address and instructing me to call him when i was near and he'd put me up for a couple of night so that I'f have a day off. I thought no more about it and pootled northwards for several days not intending to take George up on his offer. One evening, at 18:30, just as I was leaving Chorley, my rear drop out fractured and I rang george to tell him that I'd not be calling in as I was catching the train home with a broken bike. He told me to stay where I was and he'd come and pick me up and get me sorted - I assumed a lift to the station. Instead he took me to the home of Bill Nickson, the last British winner of the Milk Race. Bill had a well equipped workshop and he brazed up my rear drop out refusing payment as he couldn't guarantee that the repair would hold out. I was back on the road by 20:30

Fancy meeting a bloke whose house was a fistful of miles from the site of a major bike failure and who knew someone famous who could fix it.

It's a long story, but I did find myself in a banana plantation with a ships bell.
I can also trace the start of my career at sea to George Lucas, or more specifically Star Wars

1977 - I was 11. My aunts father had already seen the film, but was looking for an excuse to see it again, which is were I came in. He was a Captain of a supertanker, gave me a bit of his company propaganda and as I was shortly to go to a secondary school (3 tier schools at the time) decided, with some parental encouragement, on Trinity House - one of the best schools in the area anyway. The rest was inevitable.

Come to think of it, that lead to the banana plantation/bell thing years later. Star Wars has a lot to answer for.

betty swollocks

large member
Many years ago at boarding school, the entire school went down with flu except for me and as it was near the end of term, I was allowed to go home early. I decided to hitchhike home from just outside Ipswich to my then home in Newbury. The person who picked me up was my new and to me unknown next door neighbour, so I was delivered, literally, to my doorstep.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Not really strange, but I was sat opposite a guy on the train today who kept on staring at me, pouting his lips and making kisses at me whilst holding and stroking his crotch the whole way. Unfortunately, there was a group of woman in the seats across from us who couldn't stop laughing.

Now, I *possibly* wouldn't have said no if he had been a LOT younger, but he was about 80 and looked like an old member of the mafia or similar, and combined with the staring it was rather unnerving!! :laugh::blush:

EDIT: Yes Rockaay, even I have standards.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Not really strange, but I was sat opposite a guy on the train today who kept on staring at me, pouting his lips and making kisses at me whilst holding and stroking his crotch the whole way. Unfortunately, there was a group of woman in the seats across from us who couldn't stop laughing.

Now, I *possibly* wouldn't have said no if he had been a LOT younger, but he was about 80 and looked like an old member of the mafia or similar, and combined with the staring it was rather unnerving!! :laugh::blush:

EDIT: Yes Rockaay, even I have standards.
Newer thread here!
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/odd-things-that-have-happened-to-you.177486/

gottogetfit

On a cycle tour in the highlands of Scotland my Husband & I were wet through as it had been bouncing it down all day. In need of a pee but in the middle of nowhere, I found a place to park the bike, got off & said "I could do with an umbrella". Off I went & found a suitable large bush. When I went behind it, there was a large wooden handled green umberella. My Husband tied it to his cross bar & we still have it as a memento of our tour.

Not me but I was standing next to my mate after a Hampshire cricket game when Malcolm Marshall came over and engaged in a deeply respectful conversation with my mate for over 10 minutes. Then someone informed him that my mate wasn't the Mayor and that the real one was at the other end of the tent. The look on Malcolm's face when he realised he had to go through all the same crap again was a joy to behold.

Top Bottom