Odd wheels and tyres?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davidphilips

Veteran
Anyone like myself end up with odd tyres due to rear wearing out faster than the front or even end up with odd wheels due to buying a wheeset to replace a damaged wheel?

Maybe i should just buy one make/type of tyre and get rid of odd wheels? Dont think many people care what wheels someone else uses on there bike but i prefer matching tyres and certainly matching wheels on my own bikes.

A question what lasts longer a tyre or a chain? For myself i find the winner by many miles is the front tyre. the rear tyre and chain are usually close to each other.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
I now have a collection of odd wheels and no pairs

My commuter bike has all kinds of oddities: the tyres haven't matched for years, mainly because I'm a cheapskate and won't fork out for a new set for a bike when its main job is to sit at a tram stop all day and not get nicked.

Come to think of it, the wheels certainly don't match, having come from two separate bikes, and it has a 7 speed cassette and eight speed shifters...

Still, it's got 'character'. Or something.

Alan O

Über Member
I've never really been bothered about matching components - when I got my old bike out for refurbishment last year it had mismatching tyres, wheels, even pedals. All those parts were worn and were replaced, so for now at least everything matches!

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
My winter commuter has odd wheels and tyres, simply because the front's broken. The commuter bike sometimes does as well just down to time to repair things.

Otherwise I try and match them ... :whistle:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Anyone like myself end up with odd tyres due to rear wearing out faster than the front or even end up with odd wheels due to buying a wheeset to replace a damaged wheel?
How many odd wheels do you have, how many wheels are you damaging?!?!?! I can't remember the last time I damaged a wheel but even so I don't think odd wheels would bug me too much provided they were similar rim sections and colour (i.e not one std rim and one aero both different colours!). In fact it is quite common for wheel sets to be 'odd' as the fashion seems to be to have much fewer spokes in the front wheel and for this to be radially spoked while the rear is cross spoked. I have even built my commuter wheels 32Fr/36Rr and I haven't gone mad yet :crazy:

As far as wearing out front/rear tyres at different rates, my simple solution is to swap them partway through their life. Some people on this forum will argue that this is dangerous but I have yet to hear a valid argument against this and in my opinion it is probably safer because you have both tyres of the same age rather than one that refuses to wear out on the front for years & years while you get through two or three rear tyres.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
How many odd wheels do you have, how many wheels are you damaging?!?!?! I can't remember the last time I damaged a wheel but even so I don't think odd wheels would bug me too much provided they were similar rim sections and colour (i.e not one std rim and one aero both different colours!). In fact it is quite common for wheel sets to be 'odd' as the fashion seems to be to have much fewer spokes in the front wheel and for this to be radially spoked while the rear is cross spoked. I have even built my commuter wheels 32Fr/36Rr and I haven't gone mad yet :crazy:

As far as wearing out front/rear tyres at different rates, my simple solution is to swap them partway through their life. Some people on this forum will argue that this is dangerous but I have yet to hear a valid argument against this and in my opinion it is probably safer because you have both tyres of the same age rather than one that refuses to wear out on the front for years & years while you get through two or three rear tyres.
The 'Old School' way of doing it was the new tyre went on the front with the front tyre being fitted to the rear however nowadays if you try that you'll end up with mis-matched tyres even if you buy the same make/model because they've changed the look of it (new printing/different tread etc)

Globalti

Legendary Member
I have this problem looming up because the rim on my rear 2009 Kysrium SL is wearing out and I can't get a new one. I won't be wanting to throw away an otherwise good set of wheels for the want of one rim so will probably end up buying a single, non-matching rear wheel.

....or I might sell the bike and buy one with disc brakes!

Last edited:

Alan O

Über Member
The 'Old School' way of doing it was the new tyre went on the front with the front tyre being fitted to the rear however nowadays if you try that you'll end up with mis-matched tyres even if you buy the same make/model because they've changed the look of it (new printing/different tread etc)
And even the size. I bought a spare Continental Ultra Sport when I saw it going cheap (I still use 27 x 1 1/4 on my old bikes, and they's getting harder to find), and though all three I now have are marked 32-630, my original pair measure 28mm and the new one 32mm - and the tread is slightly different too. Not that it bothers me.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...

And even the size. I bought a spare Continental Ultra Sport when I saw it going cheap (I still use 27 x 1 1/4 on my old bikes, and they's getting harder to find), and though all three I now have are marked 32-630, my original pair measure 28mm and the new one 32mm - and the tread is slightly different too. Not that it bothers me.

Exactly, swap them in pairs. It would be a pretty poor supplier that would send you a non-matching pair of the same tyre!

Thorn Sherpa

Über Member

Same here I rotate them after so long to get more of an even wear not done it on the Marathons I've got on at the moment because their so hard wearing and fairly new. I've only ever once destroyed a wheel but that was a worn rim (which I knew about!) With the rear tyre running at too high a psi over a pothole in the road years back. My own fault :blush:

OP
OP
davidphilips

davidphilips

Veteran
How many odd wheels do you have, how many wheels are you damaging

LOl, damaged or destroyed a few, one mavic cosmos destroyed freehub and wheel bearings due to a friend washing it with a power wash, a mavic aksium front i did destroy along with my shoulder a few years ago (still waiting on the operation) in an accident, another front (shimano) wheel damaged in the dark cycling though water and hit something below the water, another rear wheel had 2 spokes brake one after the other a long way from home and it went so out of true i bent the rim to cycle home.

might seem a lot but when i consider the miles i have cycled and money saved in transport its a minor cost.

Top Bottom