Odd wheels and tyres?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
I have a few "spare" front wheels, from sets where the rear wheel has been destroyed

I have 1 odd tyre - but that's a turbo trainer specific one

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
As far as wearing out front/rear tyres at different rates, my simple solution is to swap them partway through their life. Some people on this forum will argue that this is dangerous but I have yet to hear a valid argument against this and in my opinion it is probably safer because you have both tyres of the same age rather than one that refuses to wear out on the front for years & years while you get through two or three rear tyres.
It is utterly pointless, you are just creating work for yourself in changing both tyre over instead of renewing just the rear. It doesn't save any money as the overall rate of wear is exactly the same.

Ajax Bay

Guru
what lasts longer a tyre or a chain? For myself i find the winner by many miles is the front tyre. the rear tyre and chain are usually close to each other.
Broadly my experience too, when I fail to change a chain in time and run it on till the cassette needs replacing at the same time. Mostly, though, I change my tyres when they still have many miles in them but I have a very long audax to complete (and failure because of a failed tyre is a risk not worth taking). Last chain: 5269km and this one 5245km (and not skipping yet). Suggest your 'rule of thumb' depends on running decent tyres (eg GP4S or Pro4s). Rough ratio of front to rear tyre longevity = 8/5 ime.

Currently running odd wheels and odd tyres (terminal damage to front rim and tyre in major off (September)). Have replaced and relaced new rim so will get back to matching, as and when.

I have previously swapped a used front to the rear but would never put a used tyre on the front - well discussed on a recent thread. A failed rear tyre is a pain. An abruptly failing front tyre can be the cause of an accident.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
The 'Old School' way of doing it was the new tyre went on the front with the front tyre being fitted to the rear however nowadays if you try that you'll end up with mis-matched tyres even if you buy the same make/model because they've changed the look of it (new printing/different tread etc)

The way round this of course is to buy tyres in threes, so you can replace the back with an identical new one when worn, at which point the front one is likely to be roughly half-worn. The second time round both are likely to require replacement at around the same time.

As regards mismatching of whole wheels, for me it depends on the bike. I couldn't care less what combination of wheels & tyres (or anything else for that matter, you should see my duct-taped saddle!) goes on a hack/pub bike, as it's there to be used and abused and run at the minimum cost. However, on a nice bike I want everything to match, and not to stick out like a sore thumb.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
It is utterly pointless, you are just creating work for yourself in changing both tyre over instead of renewing just the rear. It doesn't save any money as the overall rate of wear is exactly the same.

I think the idea is to have your best tyre on the front where a puncture at high speed would be harder to keep control.

Top Bottom