Office Bag for a Brompton - advice needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ganroon

I use a Brompton (in conjunction with a train journey) to commute to the office.
So far I have used my normal rucksack/backpack to hold my computer, notebook and other bits and pieces for work. However, I would much prefer to use a front-carrier bag on my bike instead of a back pack as doing this is much more comfortable. Also, not using a back pack whilst cycling means that I can dress more appropriately for the office (shirt, jacket, back pack whilst cycling is not a good mix).
The thing is, on the days when I am not in the office, I am generally travelling on business - often by plane abroad.
What I am therefore looking for is a front-carrier bag which I can use on the Brompton but which can also be comfortably used when flying, visiting customers etc. I really don't want to be changing bags all the time.
The Brompton O Bag, looks good but it looks like it would not be very comfortable for flying around the world on business. I am also thinking about the Brompton S Bag or Brompton C Bag.
Does anyone else have this kind of situation and have you found a good working solution?
I would imagine that something with a capacity of around 20 to 25 litres would work just fine.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I use an S Bag which looks quite smart and is comfortable to carry off the bike using the frame as a handle or the shoulder strap. The two rear pockets fit nicely on either side of the hip if using the strap. Holds a lot ( far too much ) of stuff. Laptop fits in if wanted. I carry a MacBook and sometimes an iPad as well. The outside pocket on the flap is not really much use as while it could take A4 folders you cannot get any in without folding. Costs a bit over £100 so expensive as all Brompton stuff tends to be but is good quality and as said earlier looks good for office use.

OP
OP
Ganroon

Ganroon

Thank you for your suggestion oldwheels. I am particularly interested to hear that you find it comfortable to carry off-bike which is really the tricky part. Price, as you say, is high but if it works and lasts that will be fine. I too would be looking to carry a MacBook and sometimes an iPad as well. I think that it is off to the shop for me today to see what will work. Thanks for your thoughts, much appreciated.

reppans

I double bag with a regular messenger bag inside my T-bag. Otherwise, I'd go with an S or C bag, and remove the frame for air travel.

Julia9054

Guru
I have the S bag. I can get all my work stuff in it, i use it for shopping and it is big enough for overnight trips. I like the way the shoulder strap operates which makes it easy to carry off the bike. Expensive - as with all Brompton stuff - but i got mine in with my c2w package

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
If you are allergic to spending money, look away now.

IMG_20180520_165138339_LL.jpg

Brooks Moorgate briefcase, also available in brown. All the leather quality you'd expect from Brooks, and also all the cost. It comes with a shoulder strap which I found pointless. You also need to buy an S-type frame.

Looks professional, comfortable to carry, reasonably capacious - laptop plus notebook plus folded shirt should fit, and umbrella and newspaper in the two side pockets.

There may be the odd shop stockist, but that one came mail order direct from Brooks.

OP
OP
Ganroon

Ganroon

I double bag with a regular messenger bag inside my T-bag. Otherwise, I'd go with an S or C bag, and remove the frame for air travel.

Yes, I am thinking about removing the frame when I am not going to be cycling.

OP
OP
Ganroon

Ganroon

I have the S bag. I can get all my work stuff in it, i use it for shopping and it is big enough for overnight trips. I like the way the shoulder strap operates which makes it easy to carry off the bike. Expensive - as with all Brompton stuff - but i got mine in with my c2w package

Thank you Julia9054, i think that I am heading in this direction. Although cost is always an issue, it is more important to me to get a solution which works.

OP
OP
Ganroon

Ganroon

If you are allergic to spending money, look away now.

View attachment 410183

Brooks Moorgate briefcase, also available in brown. All the leather quality you'd expect from Brooks, and also all the cost. It comes with a shoulder strap which I found pointless. You also need to buy an S-type frame.

Looks professional, comfortable to carry, reasonably capacious - laptop plus notebook plus folded shirt should fit, and umbrella and newspaper in the two side pockets.

There may be the odd shop stockist, but that one came mail order direct from Brooks.

srw - that looks like one beautiful bag, really nice and classic. However, I do think that it is gong to be a bit too much for me. Thank you for your thoughts though, much appreciated.

OP
OP
Ganroon

Ganroon

Many thanks to everyone here for their contributions and suggestions. I have just purchased a Brompton C-Bag - what tipped it, is the fact that Evans have a 15% off offer on at the moment. I now look forward to a more comfortable cycle.

Top Bottom