Oft-heard cycling phrases that get on your nerves

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I know people who use "Righty Tighty, Loosey Lefty" but a left hand pedal is always on the left know matter from where it's viewed, it may now be on the right but it is still the bike's left pedal.
Got it! That must be the one with 'L' embossed on it :thumbsup: Tight to the left, loose to the right .......

I know people who use "Righty Tighty, Loosey Lefty" but a left hand pedal is always on the left know matter from where it's viewed, it may now be on the right but it is still the bike's left pedal.
You can put me on the list too. Except it's 'lefty loosey'

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I've given this a bit of thought. Drive side/Non drive side makes sense for power train components whose position relative to the drive side is relevant to their construction or function. So: Drive-side crank tells you more than just saying right crank, because it tells you about the presence of the spider, rear wheel drive-side spokes are (I think) subject to different stresses to non-drive side. However, outside the power train it makes less sense - for example "drive side brake lever" or even "drive side pedal" seems a bit silly.

bpsmith

Veteran
I'll remove that bpsmith - I apologise if I caused offence. Maybe 'over literal' is better. I find it difficult to continue referring to the 'left hand' side of the bike when viewing it from the front when this side is now perceived by me as being the right hand side.
Not really offence, but intrigue into other opinions on Autism and their perception of it. Some people just will not see past a set of rules, rightly or wrongly defined, whether being diagnosed or not. With 1 in 10 said to be somewhere on the spectrum, you could argue that some of us who struggle with seeing past such rules are actually just undiagnosed. There are lots of other traits that confuse things further also.

D

Deleted member 26715

You can put me on the list too. Except it's 'lefty loosey'
You may well be right there, it's not one I use myself but have often heard it quoted, clearly I've heard it incorrectly as well which is not difficult for me, "What's that dear, you want some tea? Yes I think you're right it's quarter past three"

I've given this a bit of thought. Drive side/Non drive side makes sense for power train components whose position relative to the drive side is relevant to their construction or function. So: Drive-side crank tells you more than just saying right crank, because it tells you about the presence of the spider, rear wheel drive-side spokes are (I think) subject to different stresses to non-drive side. However, outside the power train it makes less sense - for example "drive side brake lever" or even "drive side pedal" seems a bit silly.
Naaaah! Show me a right crank without a spider and I'll show you a "bombproof wheel"*.

* cue for another irritating phrase.

Tim Hall

Naaaah! Show me a right crank without a spider and I'll show you a "bombproof wheel"*.
Do you get many tandems through your workshop? Well known for their bombproof wheels. The cranks look a bit odd too for some reason.

* cue for another irritating phrase.

D

Deleted member 26715

Got it! That must be the one with 'L' embossed on it :thumbsup:
So you are putting your pedals back on your bike & you slip with the spanner, you get a deep gash in your right wrist, you go to the hospital & 4 hours later you're sat facing a nurse, you say that you have injured your left wrist because the wrist you have hurt is on their left?

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
So you are putting your pedals back on your bike & you slip with the spanner, you get a deep gash in your right wrist, you go to the hospital & 4 hours later you're sat facing a nurse, you say that you have injured your left wrist because the wrist you have hurt is on their left?
I don't understand what your point is - if I am facing the bike (looking at the handle bars) the pedal with the L on it is on my RIGHT (as would be the nurse's LEFT hand if she were facing me). My injured Right hand would be on her Left, But I know it as MY Right hand, so i would not call it my Left. This whole business hinges on the convention that the handedness of the bike is viewed from the back. If I am looking at the house across the street and it has a central door, with a window either side, which is the Left hand window and which is the Right?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Of course not. I say I have injured my drive-side wrist.

If she doesn't understand I say offside wrist (unless I happen to be on the continent in which case I say nearside).

D

Deleted member 26715

If I am looking at the house across the street and it has a central door, with a window either side, which is the Left hand window and which is the Right?
As As you are facing the house, the window on your left is the house right window & the window on your right is the house's left window, the windows never move, you can

Top Bottom