Oft-heard cycling phrases that get on your nerves

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dan B

Disengaged member
I think DS and NDS is BS and pompous.
So Left and Right is NBS?

Chris S

Legendary Member
Road Tax :smile:

Bodhbh

Guru
Bit late for the thread, but the smug "Works for me" drives me up the wall. Also - not that common, but I've heard it at least twice - "utterly dependable". Used to describle touring bikes.

Alex H

Legendary Member
Bit late for the thread, but the smug "Works for me" drives me up the wall. Also - not that common, but I've heard it at least twice - "utterly dependable". Used to describle touring bikes.

I agree with the first one - the French have the similarly annoying "Ça marche" :angry:

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
I have heard too many people comment "cor, that bike looks fast" about my fixed wheel bike. Well, it is if my legs are, is my usual response, with no suggestion of humour.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
If I put my watch above my head facing upwards the hands move anti-clockwise. Luckily, to prevent confusion, we can't actually see this happening. Strangely, though, the time still passes in the normal direction. You can also look at your watch in a mirror and it goes the wrong way round again. Mirrors, I suspect, are the enemy of clockwise.

When we talk about Einstein's theory of relativity, the illustration is you moving away from a clock at the speed of light, hence time is stationary for you, but the clock is still ticking. Hence if you hold a watch above your head facing upwards, then surely time goes backwards?

Time travel sorted!

Top Bottom