Oft-heard cycling phrases that get on your nerves

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
As As you are facing the house, the window on your left is the house right window & the window on your right is the house's left window, the windows never move, you can
OK, the house's LH window has a red curtain. You want to point this out to a friend looking from your house, what do you say? 'Look at the red curtain in the house's Left window', or 'Look at the red curtain in the Right hand window'?

D

Deleted member 26715

OK, the house's LH window has a red curtain. You want to point this out to a friend looking from your house, what do you say? 'Look at the red curtain in the house's Left window', or 'Look at the red curtain in the Right hand window'?
Either they are both the same answer, they are being talked about from a different perspective

Of course not. I say I have injured my drive-side wrist.

If she doesn't understand I say offside wrist (unless I happen to be on the continent in which case I say nearside).
When referring to your own anatomy, I believe the correct term is heart-side and non-heart side. HS and NHS. That clears up all confusion other than what Tim Hall will now come up with to prove me wrong. He's scouring medical journals as we speak, looking for someone who was born with his heart predominantly on his/her right*

* When said individual is looking out his/her own eyes towards the predominant direction of perambulating.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
When referring to your own anatomy, I believe the correct term is heart-side and non-heart side. HS and NHS. That clears up all confusion other than what Tim Hall will now come up with to prove me wrong. He's scouring medical journals as we speak, looking for someone who was born with his heart predominantly on his/her right*

* When said individual is looking out his/her own eyes towards the predominant direction of perambulating.
Some people actually have their heart on the other side, its rare but does occur. :whistle:

Tim Hall

Easy. Doctor No, by great good fortune, had his heart on the right, so when the baddies found him and tried to kill him buy shooting him in the ticker they were out of luck. They cut off his hands though. I'm not sure if a book by Ian Fleming counts as a medical journal, but I didn't have to scour anything.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
IMO it is less confusing to use the second. The house doesn't actually have a Left or Right hand window, it does depend on your perspective.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
If I put my watch above my head facing upwards the hands move anti-clockwise. Luckily, to prevent confusion, we can't actually see this happening. Strangely, though, the time still passes in the normal direction. You can also look at your watch in a mirror and it goes the wrong way round again. Mirrors, I suspect, are the enemy of clockwise.

Anyhow, as you were.

Has anyone covered that ''firing up the retro-burners'' nonsense when the sprints start?

Jody

Stubborn git
Four and a half pages discussing left and right. :eek:

Nearly as epic as the 69 page thread on a different forum that started out "should I ride my bike or sell it". 1373 replies and he is still unsure about riding his bike.

Honestly it was on the Right side in the Mirror this morning.....

Attachments

• beckham.jpg
    beckham.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 65

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Just reading a review from roadcc -"There's nothing wrong with the Fizik Ardea saddle or the own-brand stem and bars but they feel a bit pedestrian" How the hell can a saddle and bars feel pedestrian ? Especially if there's nothing wrong with them ?
Same goes for most of their reviews, any bike under £3000 feels heavy and is hard on hills with those "cheap" wheels they have on.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
If I am looking at the house across the street and it has a central door, with a window either side, which is the Left hand window and which is the Right?

Surely it depends whether the house habitually travels forwards, with the front door leading, or backwards with the rear door in front.

Top Bottom