Oft-heard cycling phrases that get on your nerves

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!

S.Giles

It irritates me immensly when people use the expression 'undertaking' to mean 'overtaking on the inside'. It demonstrates a misunderstanding of the word's etymology.

Steve

format

Über Member
'I'm in training' or 'I'm off on a training ride'.
Unless you're competing, what are you training for? Can't you just go on a ride or does it have to 'mean' something?

A sportive?

'Winter miles'
Much the same as above really, what's the difference to summer miles? Do seasons even make a difference?

Tony.

For me, I do 'winter miles' which are shorter rides and not particularly at pace. The idea being that the weather is so foul that doing huge 160km rides isn't particularly appealing, and that the lesser frequency of these rides means that my fitness isn't quite what it might be at a time in the year when I'm out regularly (like summer)

For example, average winter ride is 50-60km, usually at a pace of 23-25km/h. A normal summer ride is 80-140km at closer to 30km/h+

Does that make sense?

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
It irritates me immensly when people use the expression 'undertaking' to mean 'overtaking on the inside'. It demonstrates a misunderstanding of the word's etymology.

Steve

Despite etymological niceties, I say "undertake"

"Overtaking on the inside" sounds like I'm from Belgium trying to explain it in English, that or I've had about eight pints of strong beer

The Jogger

Legendary Member
4) "I was out on my roadie" - A roadie is a person in a Hawkwind t-shirt with six inches of bum crack on display.

But maybe that is exactly what they mean.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
Use of km and kph instead of miles and mph when talking about rides in the UK

I HATE miles, they don't fit in with the modern metric way, scientists and engineers work with metric units, mathematical formulae used in schools and computers all normalise on metric, why would anyone want to arbitrarily use units that have no relationship with any other unit?

Top Bottom