Oft-heard cycling phrases that get on your nerves

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Chapeau!

Well I'm sorry, but it gets on my tits!
Well this one is certainly getting on my tits this summer ...
http://www.chapeau.cc/etape-jersey-tour-edition.html

Fab Foodie

'I'm in training' or 'I'm off on a training ride'.
Unless you're competing, what are you training for? Can't you just go on a ride or does it have to 'mean' something?

'Winter miles'
Much the same as above really, what's the difference to summer miles? Do seasons even make a difference?

.... you might be training for a *cough* Sportive or L2B or LEJOG or summat or practicing hills ... or going extra super-duper fast to get fitter, that might be different than just going for a ride for the hell of it to see the sights and catch the breeze ....

Some of these things have a history though. 'Winter miles' meant long steady miles that club riders did during the winter/non-race season when clothing and tyres etc weren't as good as they are now. Taking it easier meant less chance of damaging cold muscles or getting sweaty and then catching a chill or coming-off on ice/slippy roads etc. Again, maybe one for us oldies ...

outlash

also available in orange
Back when I was a member of the local CC, I was chatting to some of the guys before that year's hill climb comp, and one of them was banging on about his 'training' for the upcoming winter. I asked him what he was training for next season (knowing full well he didn't compete) and he looked at me blankly.
I get the impression that an awful local lot of people get sucked in by magazines and their articles on training when all they want to do is ride at a decent pace or not get dropped on the club run. You don't necessarily need to train for that do you...

I'll take your word on the winter miles definition. What it seems to say these days is 'look at me! I'm out and it's a bit chilly! I'm hard, none of this turbo milarky!' Again, just ride your bike.

Fab Foodie

Actually, I really like that.
Be a lot better without you know what on it, but it is rather lovely.
Thanks, just got it. Really impressed with Ch*****, had a long chat with them and they were very helpful. Looking forward to the new range of Friday Jerseys ... they had run-out of the one I wanted in my size, but the end result was fabber!

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
.....anyway, winter miles count double - just saying :thumbsup:

Fab Foodie

Back when I was a member of the local CC, I was chatting to some of the guys before that year's hill climb comp, and one of them was banging on about his 'training' for the upcoming winter. I asked him what he was training for next season (knowing full well he didn't compete) and he looked at me blankly.
I get the impression that an awful local lot of people get sucked in by magazines and their articles on training when all they want to do is ride at a decent pace or not get dropped on the club run. You don't necessarily need to train for that do you...

I'll take your word on the winter miles definition. What it seems to say these days is 'look at me! I'm out and it's a bit chilly! I'm hard, none of this turbo milarky!' Again, just ride your bike.
I agree completely with your first point ... and your second!
I think definitions/meanings change to fit the era. Cycling wankazines and Sportive/MAMIL culture have a lot to answer for in that respect.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Thanks, just got it. Really impressed with Ch*****, had a long chat with them and they were very helpful. Looking forward to the new range of Friday Jerseys ... they had run-out of the one I wanted in my size, but the end result was fabber!
It looks good on you in the picture, so I think it worked out very well for you.

Top Bottom