Oft-heard cycling phrases that get on your nerves

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
This thread is petty, nit-picking and not entirely to be taken seriously, but feel free to join in.

1. "Gents bike" - Only ever used to describe BSOs, and makes you think of toilets
2. "I'm going for a cycle" - No, you're going for a ride.
3. "I've ordered my new n+1" - No, you haven't. n+1 is a term used to describe the correct number of bikes to own. It isn't a single bicycle.
I've got a Gents bike ... I only use it if I'm going for a poo-tle ....

Profpointy

Legendary Member
5) "Rule 5!" - Stop talking like some sort of American extreme sports enthusiast and show some fu*&in' decorum.

FTFY

Slioch

Guru
"Oi mate, your back wheels going round" - shouted by small boys 20+ years ago to try to get you to look down.

The modern equivalent invariably contains additional words either starting with "W", "F", or "C". Such is progress. :rolleyes:

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
4) "I was out on my roadie" - A roadie is a person in a Hawkwind t-shirt with six inches of bum crack on display.
Well you never know, what people get up to in the privacy of their own home with hairy, equipment humpers..... ;)

Taking your good point a step further, Any reference to the velominati (sp?) rules is sad and tedious.

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
"That thing hasn't got enough crossbars"

Usually said by my Dad, who worked at comrade cycles that made "things" like this...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/8728562@N06/5378317308/

You lot might not have heard it often, but I have. Dear Lord nearly every time he see my bike...

Top Bottom