Oh dear lord....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
I can just imagine all the little plastic police trying to enforce this and just making s#it up as they go along like they normally do.

http://road.cc/content/news/96506-pcsos-get-power-fine-unlit-cyclists

Now I hate ninja's as much as the next person, but enforcing the "pedal reflector" thing is just DAFT on so many levels, I'm not even going to rant about that lest I explode in a big ball of anger. I don't cycle at night but I can just imagine some plastic plod telling me during the daytime to put lights on and reflector on my Carbon race bike....he'll get a very short answer from me....if the fat doughnut muncher can catch me up that is.

God save us from our idiot lawmakers.....

Kies

Looks good. If your bike has lights after dark, no plastic cop is going to ticket you for not having reflectors. I like the line about lights instead of a fine.

classic33

Leg End Member
They are not allowed to stop you, they would only be allowed to talk to you when your stationary. I asked a PC this question only last week.

OP
OP
jdtate101

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
Can any of our legal eagles comment on the pedals thing. I've heard that it's not a requirement if you have other reflectors available on the shoes. My sidi have reflective panels at the rear as do my shoe covers, bib shorts etc etc etc...

classic33

Leg End Member
Rules governing the stopping of cyclists by the police are stricter than those for stopping a motorcycle.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Can any of our legal eagles comment on the pedals thing. I've heard that it's not a requirement if you have other reflectors available on the shoes. My sidi have reflective panels at the rear as do my shoe covers, bib shorts etc etc etc...
The legislation is for the pedals. The enforcement, however, doesn't seem to exist. It's a technical offence that enforcing would do more damage to the law than it would do good to cyclists' safety. The first over-zealous PCSO will get pilloried.

OP
OP
jdtate101

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
The legislation is for the pedals. The enforcement, however, doesn't seem to exist. It's a technical offence that enforcing would do more damage to the law than it would do good to cyclists' safety. The first over-zealous PCSO will get pilloried.

An over Zealous PCSO? Surely that cannot be true....:banghead:

Linford

A few of them are on scooters now so don't try escaping up any hills ;)

Anyway, my SPDs don't have reflectors, but the shoes do in the heels, so technically when clipped in, they are part of the bike as they have a mechanical attachment to the bike...construction and use and all that ;)

Run rings round them?

I got stopped by a PCSO as part of a routine check being run by the local POlice

He thought my lights did not comply, so I asked whether he meant the Highway Code which require the lights to meet BS6102/3 or the RVLR 2009 which means they don't

I then pointed out that my lights had a "K" prefixed approval, and as Germany is a member of the EU that these were fully compliant

Finally I illuminated him with the point that the Dinotte and Exposure lights were backups and irrelevant as I was complying with the law by using the less powerful lights

He was somewhat bemused and just said that I could proceed

Try pointing out that you cannot physically use reflectors on a recumbent's pedals as the front and back are where the feet go!

Top Bottom