Oh dear lord....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jezston

Über Member
Whenever I stay at my 'friend's house in Homerton, I often stand on the balcony, usually slightly inebriated and smoking a cigarette, and play a sort of game I call "spot the hipsters riding down homerton high street at night with lights on their bicycles".

It's quite a difficult game. Most don't.

It's pretty effing ridiculous. Fortunately the streets are pretty well lit so haven't seen anyone hurt yet. But I think police stopping them, fining them - and then actually giving them a half decent set of lights before sending them on their way, would probably be a good idea. Also checking how wasted they are would probably be sensible.

I recently got given a free rear light by the police for getting my bike registered. It was a single, dull led in the middle of a reflector the size of a 2p piece. I mean really.

classic33

Leg End Member
Try pointing out that you cannot physically use reflectors on a recumbent's pedals as the front and back are where the feet go!
Done that when pulled over, whilst at the lights(one of many) in Shipley. Officer wanted to know where the licence plate was, there wasn't one on the rear. So it was a case of going over it with a "fine tooth comb" time.
Licence: NO
Road Tax: NO
Insurance: NO
Indicators: NO
What size engine: You're looking at it. What do you mean?
Then having to point out that the thing, A Brox, was pedal powered, with me alone providing the power. Not impressed, he radioed in to check on the legality. And was met with the question of the make, model & colour. Colour he could see, make & model were unknown to either him or the person on the other end. Asked if they had access to the internet to check things, met with a cautious yes when relayed to the other person. Told them where they could be bought, Bikefix & that they could view it on the shop site. Tense wait whilst this information was checked & then mine checked against what was shown on the site. Pedal posistion, dual chain use, the fact that there was articulation in the vehicle. No engine of any sort fitted.
Not pleased when he was informed that what he'd actually stopped was a pedal cycle. And therefore didn't require a driving licence, road tax or insurance to be on the road.
I'd an uphill start from where he pulled me over, when I set off.

Frood42

I know where my towel is
PCSO's are not police officers and I do not like the idea that they are being given more and more powers.

However, in this case, I do not think that it is too bad an idea.
Get PCSO's to do all the niggly little things so that a least there is a presence out there.

Now we just need them to be able to radio in and have cars removed from bicycle lanes, they might even make some money from the release fees.

OP
OP
jdtate101

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
A few of them are on scooters now so don't try escaping up any hills ;)

Anyway, my SPDs don't have reflectors, but the shoes do in the heels, so technically when clipped in, they are part of the bike as they have a mechanical attachment to the bike...construction and use and all that ;)

Even if they do have scooters I don't think they are legally allowed to chase you, thats for full coppers, not wannabee plastics plods. If you don't stop they're shoot out of luck. I can only think they will setup roadside stops with a full plod in attendance to halt people and then issue fines.

A few of them are on scooters now so don't try escaping up any hills ;)

Anyway, my SPDs don't have reflectors, but the shoes do in the heels, so technically when clipped in, they are part of the bike as they have a mechanical attachment to the bike...construction and use and all that ;)
I don't know the legaity of it but thats always the way I've described it to folk when the topic comes up and it seems to have been accepted thus far.

mattobrien

Guru
As a rule we don't have police or PCSO's on foot around our way and I really can't recall ever seeing one while out cycling in Suffolk, possibly in London, but rarely.

I do have lights and do use them, I am more worried about not being seen, than a fine for not having lights.

Having checked my shoes (Bonts) don't have reflectors, so would fall foul there if wearing them. Even worse I might have overshoes on, which also don't have reflectors, heavens forbid!

Leaway2

Lycrist
Having checked my shoes (Bonts) don't have reflectors
noose.jpg

400bhp

Guru
Done that when pulled over, whilst at the lights(one of many) in Shipley. Officer wanted to know where the licence plate was, there wasn't one on the rear. So it was a case of going over it with a "fine tooth comb" time.
Licence: NO
Road Tax: NO
Insurance: NO
Indicators: NO
What size engine: You're looking at it. What do you mean?
Then having to point out that the thing, A Brox, was pedal powered, with me alone providing the power. Not impressed, he radioed in to check on the legality. And was met with the question of the make, model & colour. Colour he could see, make & model were unknown to either him or the person on the other end. Asked if they had access to the internet to check things, met with a cautious yes when relayed to the other person. Told them where they could be bought, Bikefix & that they could view it on the shop site. Tense wait whilst this information was checked & then mine checked against what was shown on the site. Pedal posistion, dual chain use, the fact that there was articulation in the vehicle. No engine of any sort fitted.
Not pleased when he was informed that what he'd actually stopped was a pedal cycle. And therefore didn't require a driving licence, road tax or insurance to be on the road.
I'd an uphill start from where he pulled me over, when I set off.

Feckin brilliant. Was he with another copper? If so, I bet he gets ribbed about that every day:thumbsup:

Top Bottom