Oh dear lord....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'd be surprised if anyone has ever been done for no pedal reflectors. years ago I had blue tyre flies, illegal, a copper notice them and remarked on how eye catching they were.

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
How can a bike be supplied with pedal reflectors when it is supplied without pedals?

My new bike came with a package of reflectors to bolt on somewhere, somehow. The pedals I attached weren't compatible, so I put the reflectors where the sun don't shine.

rams1de

I'd be surprised if anyone has ever been done for no pedal reflectors. years ago I had blue tyre flies, illegal, a copper notice them and remarked on how eye catching they were.

I believe many regulations concerning cyclists have generally gone un-policed. But, the number of cyclists is increasing and they are demanding (quite rightly) that they are given more consideration by other road users and special facilities from planners etc.

But it's a double-edged sword when you raise your profile. Is it wrong for people to expect cyclists to comply with regulations?

It seems baffling that precious resources are devoted to the safest road user. Can you find a cycling injury or fatality blamed on pedal reflectors?

Clipless pedals with reflectors or no riding between sunset and sunrise...

Or when visibility is considered poor when your also required to have pedal reflectors. Any other reflector is optional and SPD`s are supplied for non public road use as far as the law is concerned which is why they don't need to be supplied with reflectors whereas flat pedals must be. Thats my understanding of it anyway, its as out of date as the light regulations use to be with LED lights on bikes.

Frood42

I know where my towel is
Or when visibility is considered poor when your also required to have pedal reflectors. Any other reflector is optional and SPD`s are supplied for non public road use as far as the law is concerned which is why they don't need to be supplied with reflectors whereas flat pedals must be. Thats my understanding of it anyway, its as out of date as the light regulations use to be with LED lights on bikes.

riding between sunset and sunrise...

Frood42

I know where my towel is
Or foggy or heavy rain.....

The requirements only apply at night (i.e. after sunset).

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/regulation/4/made

Its after sunset and before sunrise, not during darkness hours, two different things.

You can ride in fog after sunrise with no lights or reflectors, either very brave or very foolish behaviour though.

:thanks:

The requirements only apply at night (i.e. after sunset).

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/regulation/4/made

Its after sunset and before sunrise, not during darkness hours, two different things.

You can ride in fog after sunrise with no lights or reflectors, either very brave or very foolish behaviour though.

:thanks:

Ah ok I just assumed he was referring to night time as in darkness as for the fog the advise given out by alot councils is the highway code states you must have reflectors in poor visibility, although im quite happy to accept they are quoting it wrong. For example: http://www.solihull.gov.uk/roadsafety/27284.htm . As you say you would probably end up being blamed anyway if you didn't and you got knocked down in fog etc.

crazyjoe101

I believe many regulations concerning cyclists have generally gone un-policed. But, the number of cyclists is increasing and they are demanding (quite rightly) that they are given more consideration by other road users and special facilities from planners etc.

But it's a double-edged sword when you raise your profile. Is it wrong for people to expect cyclists to comply with regulations?

Of course not, but it's not as if they're making it easy. SPDs are now an accepted standard of road cycling and there's very few reflectors available if any at all. Car drivers don't have to come up with homebrew solutions to comply with the law, the only reason cyclists are 'expected' to is because they are an afterthought as they are not endangering others. I'd happily stick reflectors on if they were as easy to purchase and fit as lights.

Frood42

I know where my towel is
Ah ok I just assumed he was referring to night time as in darkness as for the fog the advise given out by alot councils is the highway code states you must have reflectors in poor visibility, although im quite happy to accept they are quoting it wrong. For example: http://www.solihull.gov.uk/roadsafety/27284.htm . As you say you would probably end up being blamed anyway if you didn't and you got knocked down in fog etc.
when it comes to the highway code there is should and there is must, should is not law, must is law and will reference said law,look carefully at rules 59 and 60 in the HC, one is should with no references, one is must with references, the HC intro also advises on the must bits. The website is not in line with the HC.

Frood42

I know where my towel is
hours of darkness could be 30 minutes after sunset and applies to say cars, but for cycles it is sunset, the CTC website has info on lighting regs which is useful. I would link but on my tablet the rich text editor is being a PITA.

Top Bottom